replace flexplate - is torque converter necessary?

JesseJulie

I'm in a pickle on the cracked flexplate issue.  

I've got a 2015 with a rebuilt title so they will not cover it under warranty.  I get that this is their stance but it's still disappointing as the failure is well known and has nothing to do with the rebuild but I can live with that. 

My issue now is that the official Ford repair is flexplate, torque converter and transmission pump.  Up until now I have no reason to believe the torque converter or trans has any issue but was willing to pay the bill.  However the torque converter is on bakckorder until the end of December, meaning after my car being at the Ford dealer for five weeks already, I won't be getting it until January.  

So I am thinking of just having them replace the flexplate and not the rest.  I know this is kind of a waste given the amount of labor I'll be paying but at least I can get the car back.  

Has anyone just replaced the flywheel prior to Ford covering this?  Any issues?  I'm tempted to roll the dice with this repair.  Had I done this in the first place it would have been done a month ago.  

Thoughts and exeriences are appreciated.  

My other option is to take it to a 3rd party trans shop (I wish I had done this in the first place) and while it's considerably more expensive I would  have a fully rebuilt trans with warranty.