Another Good Use for the Internet

MKXNY

I started to notice a burning smell when the heat was on, took it to the dealer, and of course they said nothing was wrong. I was going to take it back, then I decided to Google 2008 MHX smell, and of course there were many hits, and one person mentioned having the dealer check the TPU gasket.

Call the dealer, they checked it out, and sure enough, leakey TPU gasget!!!!

NO more smell

• 9 months later...
I started to notice a burning smell when the heat was on, took it to the dealer, and of course they said nothing was wrong. I was going to take it back, then I decided to Google 2008 MHX smell, and of course there were many hits, and one person mentioned having the dealer check the TPU gasket.

Call the dealer, they checked it out, and sure enough, leakey TPU gasget!!!!

NO more smell

I now have the same problem. Notice the smell first then notice small drops of oil on garage floor. Back to dealer again.

I now have the same problem. Notice the smell first then notice small drops of oil on garage floor. Back to dealer again.

Hello and good luck. I'd suggest going to the Burning Smell thread on the Maintenance & TSB part of the site. There's 30+ pages of people with the leaky PTU problem. Keep us posted. I'm hoping they'll eventually find a fix before I'm out of warranty. I haven't had the problem since the 3rd attempt at fixing and it has been OK since March, but I'm just waiting for it to get cold and start leaking again. Just have no confidence that they have it fixed.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello and good luck. I'd suggest going to the Burning Smell thread on the Maintenance & TSB part of the site. There's 30+ pages of people with the leaky PTU problem. Keep us posted. I'm hoping they'll eventually find a fix before I'm out of warranty. I haven't had the problem since the 3rd attempt at fixing and it has been OK since March, but I'm just waiting for it to get cold and start leaking again. Just have no confidence that they have it fixed.

Got it fixed, nothing more to say at this point. My MKX has 10,500 mi on it and just turned one year old. Maybe it won't leak anymore and I'll be happy. I really liked this auto until all of the problems surfaced. One more leak within 6 months I'll be able to file under the Lemon Law.