Sub/Amp add to Stock 2021 SEL

I have a stock 6 speaker 2021 SEL with the full screen infotainment center.   Recently, one of the rear stock speakers blew. I replaced them without a problem.  I realized that the stock sound is terrible.  

I was looking into adding a sub but am realizing that this may be a massive task.  In years past, I would just replace the head unit and run the wires. I can't do that here since the head unit controls everything.  I'm assuming that there is no subline running from the unit.

Has anyone attempeted to do this?  I've read articles, but they tend to be about Ford Sync 3 with the smaller head unites and/or builds with a stock sub.

And/or is there a way to "unlock" more advanced acoustic controls?

First thing you will want to remember is that once you start down this rabbit hole, you may not be able to stop easily.

Second thing is that I have a 2018 SEL with Sync3 and, like your larger screen, mine controls a LOT of things.  You may have to get something like these so you can retain the stock head unit and get more advanced audio functions:
https://www.jlaudio.com/collections/car-audio-processors-oem-integration

What kind of speakers did you buy for your Edge?  I am looking at these for mine: https://www.jlaudio.com/collections/car-audio-speakers-c3/products/c3-650-car-audio-speakers-c3-convertible-systems-99022

Edited by PrinzII

No joke about the rabbit hole.  That's what I was afraid of.  Was hoping that since the Titanium has the sub in the back, that there might be a quick way to hook something up.  Guessing not.

I regret my purchase on the speakers.  My Edge only has a 6 speaker system, so 6 3/4 in the back (no tweeter).  I purchased these: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20646CC674/Kicker-46CSC674.html

But I'm thinking of returning them and getting two pairs of these: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20646CS674/Kicker-46CSS674.html and just putting tweeters in the rear.

In my younger years, before kids, I had more money to throw at these things.  Now it's all about economics.  

JL's look nice!  

Personally don't want to spend too much if I'm using the stock head unit as there's not that much power and I'm certain it cuts off certain frequencies anyway.

13 hours ago, xer0derm said:

I added a sub to my 2022 Edge SEL I got a kit from Rockville audio. I think in total I spent less than $300 for everything. I used the high level input on the sub to get sound. I used splice connectors to tap into the rear speaker wires so I could feed the audio signal to the Amp.

No head unit replacement or any crazy modifications of any kind. Just took a while to do but the results were worth it at the time.

I did have a capacitor in line with the sub too. Just some extra protection for the electronics and I had 0 problems with it at all.

I recently removed it because my sub kept falling over and yanking on the wires ??

It was a narrow unit and sounded decent. I just didn't want to drill holes into the seats or cargo floor to make mounting brackets.

• 1 month later...

I'm in the process of adding a sub to my 2022 SEL.  Ran the power wire through the firewall last evening.  Next I'll tap audio from the right rear speaker wiring in the B pillar.  I'm installing the Infiniti BassLink mini I got from Crutchfield.  I had it in my 22 Bronco and pulled it when I got rid of the truck. I'm just looking to enhance the sound some.  I may add tweeters to the rear doors eventually too.   

UPDATE:  Sub install complete, sound in much improved.  . 

Edited by Brockdog12
update status