Windshield wiper fluid reveresed

I recently purchased a used 2019 Edge for my son.  I was using it the other day and wanted to spray the front windshield.  Fluid came out of the back and the front wipers came on.  When I tried the back fluid it came out the front and the back wiper came on.  I'm assuming that there are pumps located somewhere for each and the lines need to be reversed.  I'm just having a hard time finding them.  Any guidance would be appreciated.

Derek

Edited by BmbSqd

Welcome to the Forum, BmbSqd !

Your Edge's washer pump is attached to the lower portion of the washer fluid reservoir in the forward passenger side corner of the engine compartment...

image.png.c70e097eea0dc991e8dfff3dd71e77c8.png

image.png.fb220edc89156ae8024398b630b5d302.pngghlighted 

You'll notice the two yellow-highlighted washer fluid hoses with their pink-highlighted couplings attached to the washer pump outlets. I expect one hose supplies the windshield nozzles and the other hose supplies the rear window nozzle, per these technical descriptions of front & rear washer operation from the 2019 Edge Workshop Manual...

Windshield Washer

When the wiper/washer switch is activated, the SCCM sends the washer request to the driver side windshield wiper motor assembly over the LIN . The windshield wash relay is internal to the driver side windshield wiper motor assembly. When the driver side windshield wiper motor assembly activates the internal windshield wash relay, voltage is provided to the washer pump, directing washer fluid to the windshield. If equipped with a front camera, washer solvent is also directed to the front camera lens when the washer pump is active. When the switch is released, the windshield wiper motors will continue to activate for 3 additional wipes and then turn off.

Ground for the washer pump is provided through the rear window washer relay located within the BJB .

Rear Window Washer

When the rear window washer switch is activated, the SCCM sends the request to the driver side windshield wiper motor assembly through the LIN . The driver side windshield wiper motor assembly energizes the rear washer relay (located in the BJB ) and activates the rear window wiper motor. When the driver side windshield wiper motor assembly activates the rear window wash relay, voltage is provided to the washer pump, directing washer fluid to the rear window. When the switch is released, the rear window wiper motor continues to operate for 3 additional wipes and then turns off.

Ground for the washer pump is provided through the windshield washer relay within the driver side windshield wiper motor assembly.

Presuming the washer fluid hose couplings are not fool-proofed to only connect to the appropriate washer pump outlet for front or rear nozzle, then your swapping the hoses side-to-side may correct your Edge wrong-way spraying issue.

Given that you've recently purchased the Edge, it seems unlikely a non-working washer pump was replaced and the wrong-way spray issue went unnoticed, though maybe it was a hurried job.

It may be the result of a washer pump malfunction or a wiring/switch issue, but if swapping the hoses produces interim improvement, then it's worth a try.

I've pulled relevant sections from the 2019 Edge Workshop and Wiring manuals, which will likely require two posts to provide due to Forum attachment size limitations.

Document download links>

Wipers and Washers - System Operation and Component Description - 2019 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Windshield Washer Pump - Removal and Installation - 2019 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Fender Splash Shield - Removal and Installation - 2019 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Washer Hose Coupling - General Procedures - 2019 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Windshield Washer Reservoir - Removal and Installation - 2019 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Wipers and Washers - Diagnosis and Testing - 2019 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1