Intermittent howling noise from back of 2015 Edge

dmahoney1170

Hello, 

Over the last few months, I get an intermittent howling noise coming from the back of the car. It happens every few weeks and it's always at lower speeds (below 50MPH). When it happens, if I slow down and come to a stop, the car hesitates and shakes. No check engine light.  If I continue to drive, the noise goes away.  Once I turn the car off and start again, the problem is gone- until it happens again days/weeks later.

I made the assumption that this was a bad fuel pump and had it replaced $$$.  I drove it for the past week and a half, and it happened again on my way to work yesterday. I'm not sure about brining into the dealership since the problem is so intermittent and there is no check engine light.  

Any ideas?

Edited by dmahoney1170
additional context

my 2017 edge with the 2.0L engine would intermittently do this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jmschneid/52772338189

The hesitation and rough running is because of the vacuum leak created by the vapor/fuel separator valve being stuck open.

when it is making the noise, stop, leave engine running and check your fuel door.

Edited by JSchneid
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 9/22/2023 at 10:01 AM, dmahoney1170 said:

Hello, 

Over the last few months, I get an intermittent howling noise coming from the back of the car. It happens every few weeks and it's always at lower speeds (below 50MPH). When it happens, if I slow down and come to a stop, the car hesitates and shakes. No check engine light.  If I continue to drive, the noise goes away.  Once I turn the car off and start again, the problem is gone- until it happens again days/weeks later.

I made the assumption that this was a bad fuel pump and had it replaced $$$.  I drove it for the past week and a half, and it happened again on my way to work yesterday. I'm not sure about brining into the dealership since the problem is so intermittent and there is no check engine light.  

Any ideas?

Hi @dmahoney1170,

This honestly sounds like I could have written this. I'm having the same issue with my 2015 Edge, although I've noticed that the noise happens now at higher speeds as well. As long as I keep driving and don't slow down, the car drives fine, and the noise eventually goes away. The car has shut off and gone into accessory mode three times now since the noise started off and on for the past four-five months. I too have had the fuel pump replaced with no success. I can say that the car now throws a check engine light when the noise begins, but it turns off after being driven for a while once the noise has stopped. 

Have you been able to resolve the issue for your car? If so, what did you replace that finally made the issue stop?