2018 Edge 110v inverter not working

I recently noticed that the 110v inverter in my 2018 Edge is not working. First thing I thought to check was the fuse. I located the fuse in the engine bay and pulled it, looked ok so I reseated it. Still wasn't working, but thats when I noticed there is an LED at the plug thats blinking green and from what I read is that there is a fault with it. So I located the inverter under the passenger seat and tried reseating the connector to it but that didnt work either. I also tried leaving it disconnected overnight in case it reset something but still the LED was blinking (with nothing connected to the outlet). I then got my multimeter out and confirmed it was receiving 12v from the battery and also when the car was turned on that the ACC connector was getting 12v too. I tested the AC out pins and there was no output. I then thought that maybe there was something wrong with the wiring from the inverter to the outlet at the rear of the center console so I disconnected the harness from the inverter then did a continuity test on the pins going to the outlet from the harness and they both showed continuity. 

At this point I figured that maybe the inverter was dead. I ordered a used (pulled) inverter from ebay and just got it but its doing the same thing. I did make sure that the inverter is not disabled by the button on the overhead panel so thats not the issue. Lets just assume for the moment that the inverter I got from ebay isnt also dead, is there anything else to check on this?

While looking in to this I came across another post on this forum about adding an inverter to an Edge that didnt have a factory one. In the post was a link to some pictures and one was a wiring diagram for the inverter. Of the 8 wires in the harness I know the VBATT, ACC, GND, LED+, LED-, AC-A and AC-B all appear to be working as intended. Im not sure about the LIN4 connector and what its purpose is. It seems to connect to the BCM and for some reason has the rear view camera in line. Maybe this is for the BCM to tell the inverter to work? 

Power Inverter.PNG

Edited by fletch8527
  • Like 1

Welcome to the Forum, @fletch8527 !

From the 2018 Edge Workshop Manual...

(Placing device cursor over underlined acronyms may yield full-words descriptions)

Direct Current/Alternating Current (DC/AC) Inverter - System Operation and Component Description

System Diagram

image.png.992deb59eefc5a7d4525b36a1a0fb595.png

System Operation

Network Message Chart

Broadcast Message Originating Module Message Purpose
Power pack torque status  PCM Used to determine if the engine is started.

A/C OUTLETS (POWER POINTS)

This vehicle is equipped with a 110v A/C outlet on the center floor console. The AC outlet is equipped with an amber LED that indicates the system status. The LED is illuminated continuously when the inverter is ON and the system is operating normally. If the LED has a series of three flashes, the power point is overloaded. The LED flashes constantly if the ignition is on and a fault is detected.

DC/AC INVERTER

The direct current/alternating current (DC/AC) inverter converts 12 volts DC to 110 volts AC to power AC devices rated 150 watts or less.

The 110 volts AC created by the inverter measures differently than conventional, utility generated AC with some multi-meters.

SYSTEM OPERATION

When the ignition is turned to RUN and the engine started, the LED will flash as the inverter runs a self-test. The LED will then illuminate constantly and the inverter supplies 110 volts to the AC outlet. The driver door should be closed and engine must be started for the AC outlet to begin to operate. In accessory delay mode, the direct current/alternating current (DC/AC) inverter shuts off after 13 minutes. When the direct current/alternating current (DC/AC) inverter stops receiving information from the BCM over the LIN circuit indicating the engine is started, it begins counting the elapsed time. After 13 minutes the direct current/alternating current (DC/AC) inverter shuts down. Cycling the ignition from RUN to OFF and back to RUN will reset the timer is and the inverter is powered back on by but only for another 13 minutes. This prevents the 12-volt battery from being fully discharged. If the vehicle is started, the inverter operation is not time-limited.

The direct current/alternating current (DC/AC) inverter has a self-protection feature for the following conditions:

• Short circuits on the inverter output circuits: The inverter shuts down if it detects a short on the output circuit(s). After 6 seconds, it restarts and checks for a short condition. If the condition still exists, the inverter shuts down again. The inverter restarts 5 times and if the short still exists on the 5th restart, the inverter disables AC output and the green LED indicator flashes.
  • Low voltage input: The inverter does not operate when the input voltage is less than 11 volts.
  • High voltage input: The inverter does not operate when the input voltage is greater than 16 volts.
  • Load exceeds 150 watts
  • High temperature: The inverter does not operate if it has overheated or if ambient (cabin) temperatures exceed 75 C (167 F).

If the self-protection feature is activated, the LED indicator flashes and the direct current/alternating current (DC/AC) inverter does not provide power output to the AC outlet. If the LED is flashing, the problem must be corrected before direct current/alternating current (DC/AC) inverter operation resumes.

Refer to the Owner's Literature for a list of appropriate electrical loads and devices.

Component Description

COMPONENT OPERATION

The AC power outlet and inverter module are replaced as separate components. The AC outlets are standard 3-prong outlets, similar to a standard wall outlet. The contacts of the outlet exert a more powerful grip on the plug so that it does not shake loose on poor road surfaces.

DirectCurrent-AlternatingCurrent(DC-AC)Inverter-ComponentLocationsIllustration.thumb.jpg.c88fcba964ee3b71cdef0bfbb8cea3c3.jpg

image.png.4ca85830fb463c1eacca6e270644dce0.png

Document download links>

Direct Current-Alternating Current (DC-AC) Inverter - Diagnosis and Testing - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdfDIRECT CURRENT-ALTERNATING CURRENT (DC-AC) INVERTER - Connector C3501 Details - 2018 Edge.pdfDIRECT CURRENT-ALTERNATING CURRENT (DC-AC) INVERTER - Connector C3501 Location - 2018 Edge.pdfALTERNATING CURRENT (AC) POWER OUTLET SOCKET - Connector C3429 Details - 2018 Edge.pdfALTERNATING CURRENT (AC) POWER OUTLET SOCKET - Connector C3429 Location - 2018 Edge.pdfPin Identification Diagram for Diagnosis and Testing Pinpoint Test Step A9 CHECK AC (ALTERNATING CURRENT) OUTLET FOR AN OPEN - 2018 Edge.pdfDirect Current-Alternating Current (DC-AC) Inverter - Removal and Installation - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

BODY CONTROL MODULE (BCM) - Connector C2280D Details - 2018 Edge.pdf

BODY CONTROL MODULE (BCM) - Connector C2280D Location - 2018 Edge.pdf

BODY CONTROL MODULE (BCM) - Connector C2280D Location on BCM - 2018 Edge.pdf

Alternating Current (AC) Power Outlet Socket - Removal and Installation - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Power Inverter Wiring Diagram - 2018 Edge.pdf

Direct Current-Alternating Current (DC-AC) Inverter - Description and Operation - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Direct Current-Alternating Current (DC-AC) Inverter - Component Location - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Good luck!

Edited by Haz

Well, this is a real facepalm moment... I guess I never realized that the engine needed to be running for the inverter to work. In my testing I always just had the ignition on but engine not started. 

After I started the engine I noticed that the LED on the outlet was a constant green. I then connected a lamp and it came right on. 

@Haz Thanks for providing all that info!

• Like 1