Shark fin antenna

I've read a few posts on here talking about replacing the factory antenna, but they were older posts. Just wondering if anybody has any new information or experience to share? I just got my 13 Edge, and one thing I noticed right away was that for some reason Ford thought it was a good idea to put the antenna at the front of the roof? That's just odd. Anyway, I've already had someone tell me to take it off before going through a car wash if I don't want to lose it.

That got me thinking about replacing it with a shark fin. Problem is, with the "Vista Roof", there's not a whole lot of room where the antenna is located. Has anyone here had any luck finding a shark fin that will fit?

Another option would be to replace the OEM with a "stubby" antenna. I just wonder if that too would get ripped off in the car wash?

• 2 weeks later...

Have an 09 MKX, little "whip"  antenna at front, BAMR.

I wash the car in a local car wash every week (in the winter, get the salt off.) Ultimate wash; nothing but the best for "sweet pee".

Brushes, rug-type strips dragging across the top, spinning roller brushes, huge blowers to dry. Never had a problem. (Well once, ripped off the drivers wiper blade. Needed new blades anyways.) The side brushes used to fold the side mirrors in, but they adjusted the pressure and no more probs.

For whatever it's worth, the antenna is easy to replace, just screws off. <$20 oem on Amazon. 

Whoever told you the remove it before a car wash doesn't know what he's talking about. 

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1