Ford Remote starter

GT475

Looks my Edge should be in anytime now (1-2 weeks based on transportation).

Since this would be my winter car. The Mustang is reserved for the summer time only and since it takes my garage spot for the winter, I was thinking of having the remote starter installed.

I do not want an aftermarket remote that will be giving me potential trouble down the road with all the now-a-days electronic stuff in a car.

So, I was thinking of getting the Ford model installed by the dealer and serviced by Ford.

Any input to the Ford remote?

Is it any good?

Do who know who is the manufacturer of the remote?

Thanks

Marc G

I had the Ford remote starter installed in my Edge. I love it! It works from pretty far distances, and the truck warms up quickly. It also allows you to leave the vehicle running for up to 10 minutes if you're just running into the house/store really quick after you've driven the car. (Just push the one button before you turn off the ignition.) I will have to look at the papers I got with my fobs and get back to you about the manufacturer. I don't remember who it is off the top of my head. I've only had my truck for two weeks and the remote start for about 10 days, so I'm still pretty new to it, but I'm loving every moment of it so far. Living in NE Ohio, I can use it in the winters to warm up the truck and in the summer to cool down those black leather seats. :)

There is nothing wrong with an after market version as long as you get a good one and have someone professional install it.

Mine has been fine for years in both my Dodge Dakota, Toyota Matrix and now Ford Edge. But hey if you like to pay TOP dollar, take it to your dealer.

There is nothing wrong with an after market version as long as you get a good one and have someone professional install it.

Mine has been fine for years in both my Dodge Dakota, Toyota Matrix and now Ford Edge. But hey if you like to pay TOP dollar, take it to your dealer.

Which one did you get?

Was thinking of a 2 way model that send the remote a confirmation the car has started or not.

I am told the Ford ones are only 1 way with no confirmation.

Thanks

Marc G

I recently installed a Hornet 564T 2- way LCD display model. Hornet is the same as Viper, their both from the same manufacturer.

The unit does the remote start, starter cut-out, 2 stage shock sensing, door locks, dome light, etc... (all the bells & whistles)

The range of the remote is approx. 1000' which is much farther than the stock key fob.

Dealers that offer remote start in house end up bringing in a local car alarm shop to do the work and you pay more.

The alarm I have has approx. 30 options for your to turn on or off through programing with the valet & remote.

I payed $150.00 for the unit off the shelf.

An average alarm shop (here in NY) will charge you about $450.00 for the alarm installed. Well worth it in my opinion.

Good Luck. :rockon:

I recently installed a Hornet 564T 2- way LCD display model. Hornet is the same as Viper, their both from the same manufacturer.

The unit does the remote start, starter cut-out, 2 stage shock sensing, door locks, dome light, etc... (all the bells & whistles)

The range of the remote is approx. 1000' which is much farther than the stock key fob.

Dealers that offer remote start in house end up bringing in a local car alarm shop to do the work and you pay more.

The alarm I have has approx. 30 options for your to turn on or off through programing with the valet & remote.

I payed $150.00 for the unit off the shelf.

An average alarm shop (here in NY) will charge you about $450.00 for the alarm installed. Well worth it in my opinion.

Good Luck. :rockon:

Thanks for the info.

As winter is coming to an end soon, I might postponed the decision until next fall.

I just do not want to ended up with manu bulky remotes at the end of my key. I do not mind re-placing my factory keyless remote by something like to Hornet. In fact that is what happened with my Mustang 95 I got in Sept 94. Back then the FORD PASS was not ready for the early 95 built year and it was easy for the dealer to install the alarm cause my car did not had the PASS in it.

Question though:

1) Does your remote acts as the alarm also, bypassing the factory alarm system, or does it work in concert with it?

2) Does your keyless door entry pad still works with your Hornet system or it was disconnected in the process?

3) I heard the many aftemarket remote/alarm had to have a special "additional" box to bypass the factory PASS systems. Do not know if it is still the case.

Thanks again for the input.

Marc G

GT475,

You can connect a disarm wire from the alarm unit to the factory wire harness or you can leave it out.

The factory alarm essentially works with the ignition key, therefore it is not affected by the aftermarket alarm.

The keyless entry pad still works, but of course if you open the door that way the alarm will sound after it gives you several chirps warning to disarm.

I would only use the entry pad if I accidentally locked my keys inside.

The Edge does need an additional box wired into the alarm. You need to put your spare key that inside the box so that it is electronically read when you remote start the vehicle. You then use your other key with the fob built in to start the car normally so that the vehicle reads the security sensor in it.

This being said, you can start the vehicle with a standard cut key that does not have the pass sensor. Some people will take the key apart and take out the sensor and mount it inside of the steering column close enough to the ignition sensor ring. If you do this, you can use a standard key, but you are also disabling the factory alarm by always sending the security signal to the ignition. (makes it easier to steal the car)