Developing problem w/Roof Rack

DD 430

Yep, I took off the other covers... not easily, by the way.

(Which leads me to wonder if it was vandalism instead of the wind.)

Anyhow there is a prefix to those numbers of 7T43-78XXXXXX.

But you would have thought the dealer parts computer could still pull up something.

So, I will check with a larger Ford dealer.

I am still planning on putting the Thule Tracker feet on so I feel better carrying two kayaks and two bikes at once.

I have the Thule setup and used it on the Explorer, so no big expense.

Will share photos.

Chuck

That is probably the engineering id number, not the same as a part number. however a good parts guy should have been able to cross that number over. There is still a chance though that the part is not serviced seperate from the rail.

Okay, here is the story.

After getting the "I don't care, buy the whole rack" story from the local Ford dealer here in Butler, PA; I went to visit my daughter and family in Dumfries, VA. The Ford dealer there, Cowles Parkway Ford, Woodbridge, VA, easily found the part number and ordered it on Monday. By noon on Tuesday, I had the part in my hand for $16.61 shipped from Memphis! (Part number 7T4Z-7855182-AA) I am impressed by their service and attitude.

Bottom line for the initial concern of this thread is that the deflection in the cover does not indicate a problem or weakening. I do think it suggests that the rails are overloaded.

Because I haul two kayaks and two bikes at the same time, I plan to mount a Thule setup that I used on an Explorer beside the current rails. I will post the results.

Okay, here is the story.

After getting the "I don't care, buy the whole rack" story from the local Ford dealer here in Butler, PA; I went to visit my daughter and family in Dumfries, VA. The Ford dealer there, Cowles Parkway Ford, Woodbridge, VA, easily found the part number and ordered it on Monday. By noon on Tuesday, I had the part in my hand for $16.61 shipped from Memphis! (Part number 7T4Z-7855182-AA) I am impressed by their service and attitude.

Bottom line for the initial concern of this thread is that the deflection in the cover does not indicate a problem or weakening. I do think it suggests that the rails are overloaded.

Because I haul two kayaks and two bikes at the same time, I plan to mount a Thule setup that I used on an Explorer beside the current rails. I will post the results.

Chuck, That's good news about the part from Cowles. Too bad that the dealer in Butler was so clueless. I'm also surprised that the part was only $16.61 (also good news)!

When the part 'popped' off on my car I had a Yakima Rocket Box on the car. I would estimate that the box and contents probably weighed in at about 85LBS. Obviously, since the car was being driven at highway speeds, there was additional force on the system as well.

My two kayaks have also caused the covers to loosen as well. In fact, the Yakima cross bars themselves seem to have deformed the system a bit even when they're unloaded.

It'll be interesting to see how the Thule works out for you. Keep us posted.

Mark