Developing problem w/Roof Rack

DD 430

I'm using a Yakima roof rack system in conjunction with the 'stock' Ford rack on my '08 Edge. I use it to carry a number of different accessories such as bike racks, kayak racks, or a Rocket Box (all Yakima products). I've used the exact same setup on the following cars: 1990 Volvo 240, 1990 Plymouth Voyager, 1995 GMC S-15 Jimmy, 2002 Chevrolet Astro Van, 2005 VW Passat.

The system has worked flawlessly on all of the vehicles but I believe that I'm developing a problem on the Edge.

I think that the problem originates in the material that Ford uses to tie their factory 'stock' rack back into the roof which seems to be manufactured using an engineered plastic. The plastic tends to deform under load to the point that the part (PN's 551A92-3, 551A92-4) that covers the bolts begins to lift in the rear and, if you're not paying attention, could fall off. Losing the covers would be a PITA in that I'd wager that the parts are difficult to obtain.

My more serious concern is that if deformation is present it may be just a matter of time before kayaks, bicycles, and Rocket Boxes are launched off of the roof of the car - a problem for those following closely behind at worse or a totally fouled-up vacation at best.

The difference between the mounts on the Ford and the rest of the 'fleet' is probably that the other cars used anodized aluminum mounts that did not deform. I've carried the same weight in all of the similar setups.

The photos that I've attached show the rear of the covers beginning to lift. (They are also a PITA to replace.)

Have any of you folks experienced the same problem?

post-6374-1250628864_thumb.jpg

post-6374-1250630518_thumb.jpg

post-6374-1250630615_thumb.jpg

Edited by DD 430

your the first here I have read to mention this issue. everyone that I have seen here is using yakima towers and not using the stock rails to carry this amount of weight. (some good posts on it here with part #s.) so, you know you at least can go to towers if needed. sounds like it will be hard or impossible to fix and not have it either repeat or do it again and likely, have a catastrophic failure in the end. seems you have been around the block with this setup, as I have on other cars using this exact setup from Yakima, and it was tried and true.... but this may be the 1 exception in your fleet. One I would be leery of continuing to use given all the bad potential here if this is not simply cosmetic.

I do not have that setup on mine, I moved to a hitch rack since I have the BAMR, but wonder if that piece that is mounted to the roof is just a cosmetic foot the rail bolts to and a bolt is loose to the rail - or does it 'feel' solid?

btw, with no BAMR vista roof, why are you using the fairing? did you hear whistling wind noise without it in this setup?

your the first here I have read to mention this issue. everyone that I have seen here is using yakima towers and not using the stock rails to carry this amount of weight. (some good posts on it here with part #s.) so, you know you at least can go to towers if needed. sounds like it will be hard or impossible to fix and not have it either repeat or do it again and likely, have a catastrophic failure in the end. seems you have been around the block with this setup, as I have on other cars using this exact setup from Yakima, and it was tried and true.... but this may be the 1 exception in your fleet. One I would be leery of continuing to use given all the bad potential here if this is not simply cosmetic.

I do not have that setup on mine, I moved to a hitch rack since I have the BAMR, but wonder if that piece that is mounted to the roof is just a cosmetic foot the rail bolts to and a bolt is loose to the rail - or does it 'feel' solid?

btw, with no BAMR vista roof, why are you using the fairing? did you hear whistling wind noise without it in this setup?

I use a hitch rack as well for bikes but, from time-to-time, I'll put them on the roof, too. The reason that I use this type of roof rack is that I'm a bit of a nut with regards to using a tower because they tend to screw up the paint. And, yes, the rack howls like my ex-wife if I don't use the fairing.

I think that Perry Craft (www.perrycraft.com) make a replacement rack for the Edge that will hold (I think) 185LBS. I haven't seen an installation drawing for the part but I may check it out.

The stock rack, I fear, is going to cause some real problems.

I use a hitch rack as well for bikes but, from time-to-time, I'll put them on the roof, too. The reason that I use this type of roof rack is that I'm a bit of a nut with regards to using a tower because they tend to screw up the paint.

word. I need no convincing there.

And, yes, the rack howls like my ex-wife if I don't use the fairing.

LOL

The stock rack, I fear, is going to cause some real problems.

I would suspect that is right around the corner. to much weight, to much wind pressure, to weak a stock rail design system that never expected it.

I have overstressed the stock rails as well.

Coming from a Ford Explorer to the Edge, it is difficult to give up the ability to haul bikes and even kayaks.

Yesterday the right front tower cover blew off the car!

So, now do I replace it with a real rack or somehow find a replacement part and forget hauling what I need?

Chuck

I have overstressed the stock rails as well.

Coming from a Ford Explorer to the Edge, it is difficult to give up the ability to haul bikes and even kayaks.

Yesterday the right front tower cover blew off the car!

So, now do I replace it with a real rack or somehow find a replacement part and forget hauling what I need?

Chuck

picture?

"the right front tower cover" - so are there just covers at the attachment point and the rack is actually solid?

"So, now do I replace it with a real rack" - yes! :)

The cover that flew off seems to snap onto a molded plastic base with gussets of plastic providing strength.

I doubt that the cover provides much strength, but after searching and finding this thread my concern is increasing.

I just checked out www.perrycraft.com and they look good, but are they better?

The missing cover just really annoys me.

Chuck

picture?

"the right front tower cover" - so are there just covers at the attachment point and the rack is actually solid?

"So, now do I replace it with a real rack" - yes! :)

The front covers are essentially the same as those used on the rear. It's really too bad that Ford chose to use the materials that they used for the system - cast aluminum would have been the way to go, a bit more expensive but it would be much sturdier.

The racks at Perrycraft look like the way to go. They appear to be screwed to the flat portion of the roof much like on the old Astrovan. I guess that, first, the stock rack has to be removed and, second, the black vinyl seam filler strip has to be replaced and then the Perrycraft units can be mounted.

Ford could have done better on this portion of the car. But, so far, it's the only gripe that I have. Actually, though, they may end up with a legal liability issue with this one if anyone is hurt due a failure.

The cover that flew off seems to snap onto a molded plastic base with gussets of plastic providing strength.

I doubt that the cover provides much strength, but after searching and finding this thread my concern is increasing.

I just checked out www.perrycraft.com and they look good, but are they better?

The missing cover just really annoys me.

Chuck

Chuck, The missing cover is also a PITA to replace, too. And, yes, the Perrycraft look like the racks that came standard on all of my other cars. Mark

but that is interesting. I surmised earlier those might just be covers, but the rails themselves might still be solid and in fact, it is an issue with crummy covers.

thoughts on that as only you guys can tell if the rails are actually really loose and sketchy?

if it is just crummy covers, that is easy to fix.. buy a new cover and epoxy it on. this exact same thing happened on my Passatt wagon. but rails were fine, covers came loose.

but that is interesting. I surmised earlier those might just be covers, but the rails themselves might still be solid and in fact, it is an issue with crummy covers.

thoughts on that as only you guys can tell if the rails are actually really loose and sketchy?

if it is just crummy covers, that is easy to fix.. buy a new cover and epoxy it on. this exact same thing happened on my Passatt wagon. but rails were fine, covers came loose.

Actually, the covers are a symptom of the problem. The portion of the rack that is thru-bolted on to the car is made out of plastic. This is the 'bearing' point and the deflection in the mount causes the cover to come off. So it's the mounting part (I can't find a part number in my service manual) that's the real problem.

ahh.. yes, this is just like my VW.. I would say the rack is pretty solid. 2 bolt system. yes, the plastic covers and plastic deformed, which sucks, but not convinced the actual strength is in jeopardy seeing this. I understood why it is happening, and agree it might be sub par plastics, but I am less concerned now that I see it.

now, that does not mean I would still not investigate going to a legit rack for some of the weight some of you carry. as a long term roof rack user, I still think it a worthy investment. but just less concerned.

I'm thinking about mounting Thule Aerofoot towers beside my current rails.

The perrycraft.com product sounds like the factory rails.

Can anyone help me find a part number for that tower cover?

I know it could cost $$$!

Thanks,

Chuck

Chuck,

The part numbers for the rear covers are: PN's 551A92-3, 551A92-4. I can't remember which is the RH and LH but I suspect the -3 is LH.

Mark

Thanks, Mark.

My thought is to mount the Aerofoot bases in the roof groove where the current rack is mounted... leave the current, but add the Aerofoots just behind the front tower and ahead of the back tower. I know, I hurt from the effect on appearance!!

Then my question is where can I get those self drilling fine threaded screws? ...And what metal will I find there?

Anybody have ideas or cautions or am I crazy in the head?

Chuck

Okay, correction... it is the Thule Tracker System.

This uses a small stainless bar that you mount in a track (or on a flat surface) and then snap on the towers with the bars in a few seconds.

It is very fast to load and go... that's me "fast to load and go!!!"

Here is the website...http://www.thuleracks.com/product.asp?dept_id=3&sku=43050

Chuck

Okay, correction... it is the Thule Tracker System.

This uses a small stainless bar that you mount in a track (or on a flat surface) and then snap on the towers with the bars in a few seconds.

It is very fast to load and go... that's me "fast to load and go!!!"

Here is the website...http://www.thuleracks.com/product.asp?dept_id=3&sku=43050

Chuck

It looks like an interesting system. It'd be nice to see one that is actually installed on a vehicle or at least some actual photos on an installation. By the way what was the price of the cover that fell off?

Those part numbers...551A92-3, 551A92-4 got me blank stares from the local Ford dealer. His only option was to buy the whole rack! Black duct tape could work...

The Adventura from perrycraft.com is a cheaper, yet better, option.

Anyone with a suggestion?

Thanks,

Chuck

Those part numbers...551A92-3, 551A92-4 got me blank stares from the local Ford dealer. His only option was to buy the whole rack! Black duct tape could work...

The Adventura from perrycraft.com is a cheaper, yet better, option.

Anyone with a suggestion?

Thanks,

Chuck

Thats because those numbers you have listened are not ford part numbers. I don't know where those numbers came from.

Thats because those numbers you have listened are not ford part numbers. I don't know where those numbers came from.

Folks,

Those numbers came from the "WORKSHOP MANUAL 2008 EDGE, MKX - VOUME 1" Pages 501-08-3, 501-08-4.

If you 'hit' "Ctrl" "+" or "-" you can enlarge or reduce the photo size.

All the best,

Mark

post-6374-1250947201_thumb.jpg

post-6374-1250947226_thumb.jpg

Edited by DD 430

Folks,

Those numbers came from the "WORKSHOP MANUAL 2008 EDGE, MKX - VOUME 1" Pages 501-08-3, 501-08-4.

If you 'hit' "Ctrl" "+" or "-" you can enlarge or reduce the photo size.

All the best,

Mark

Those might be thew "basic" number, but like i said, those are not the full part number.

Yep, I took off the other covers... not easily, by the way.

(Which leads me to wonder if it was vandalism instead of the wind.)

Anyhow there is a prefix to those numbers of 7T43-78XXXXXX.

But you would have thought the dealer parts computer could still pull up something.

So, I will check with a larger Ford dealer.

I am still planning on putting the Thule Tracker feet on so I feel better carrying two kayaks and two bikes at once.

I have the Thule setup and used it on the Explorer, so no big expense.

Will share photos.

Chuck