new 2009 sport - love it

tmagoo

Just got my new 2009 Edge Sport this weekend - black with 22 inch rims. Looks absolutely awesome, trying to keep it that way. Swore I would NEVER get a black vehicle - but all that was left. Did full protection plan with 3M.

Never had a need for winter tires with past vehicles, but being in Canada and seeing these rims - wonder if its time.

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks

Just got my new 2009 Edge Sport this weekend - black with 22 inch rims. Looks absolutely awesome, trying to keep it that way. Swore I would NEVER get a black vehicle - but all that was left. Did full protection plan with 3M.

Never had a need for winter tires with past vehicles, but being in Canada and seeing these rims - wonder if its time.

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks

Hi tmagoo. :D Forgive me for copying and pasting my reply, but I just finished answering a very similar question in the "Ford Edge Sport" sub forum (the other forum member was asking about his wife's new Edge Sport). So, to save myself some typing:

As with most vehicles, the type of tire is more important than wheel diameter when determining how well your vehicle runs in the snow.

In fact, even wheel/tire width is more important than diameter. The wider a tire, the more it will have a tendency to "float" on the snow (think snow shoes) instead of sinking/biting into the snow. Floating on the snow is not good for snow traction.

Another important factor: Did your wife purchase an AWD or FWD Edge? She will be able to get away with some things in an AWD Edge that a FWD Edge might not handle.

If "The Tire Rack" website is correct, your Edge Sport is equipped with the 265/40-22 Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrrico M+S tires. It is rated by Pirelli as an all-season high to ultra-high performance tire. It is a relatively wide tire and does not have a particularly aggressively siped tread for heavy snow use. It is what it is: An all-season highway tire.

If you live in a heavy snow area, then a set of slightly narrower wheels with narrower (think SEL or Limited wheel tire sizes) dedicated snow tires will get you around better in heavy snows.

But there are just so many other variables that we do not have the information to. Do you live and do most of your driving in a metropolitan area where the roads are plowed, or do you live out in the sticks where getting stuck could mean possible injury or death? Do you have a job that includes having to get to work no matter what the weather, or can you stay home when it snows, etc. etc.?

In the end, it comes down to a matter or personal need, personal preference and cost. Maybe wait until your wife has a chance to drive the Edge in the first heavy snow, then make a decision as to whether you want to spend the money?

I would also recommend checking websites like LINK: The Tire Rack and LINK: Discount Tire for helpful information. You can also call them for help.

Hope something here helps.

Good luck. :D

Edited by bbf2530

I would think you'd want winter wheels just to protect the 22's. And if you're doing new wheels you might as well do winter tires so you don't have to unmount/remount the tires twice a year. You can do 17" or 18" wheels and snow tires (unless the 22's come with bigger brake calipers or rotors - then you might have an issue) as long as you maintain the same overall tire diameter. This makes winter tires and wheels a lot cheaper with more options.