Block Heater?

Being active duty military I was serving a one year unaccompanied remote overseas tour and left mama at home by herself. Upon my arrival back to the good ol USA my wife proudly proclaims that she bought a new car!!!! Bless her heart she did a good job buying the Edge, however my next assignment is taking us to Alaska. This vehicle was purchased in New Mexico and I guess they don't put block heaters on them down there unless you order one with it installed. So I called a couple of dealers and they are telling me its gonna cost anywhere between 500 and 1000 bucks to have one installed. Has anyone installed or know of someone installing a block heater on an Edge? One dealer told me that they have to drop the tranny to install it, I haven't had time to crawl under the Edge and look for freeze plugs but I can't believe that Ford would make installing a block heater so expensive or hard to do. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by justhoppy

OK, update to my previous thread about the block heater or lack thereof. I found and purchased a block heater from O'Reilly's autoparts store for 32 bucks. I have located the plug that requires removal to install the block heater but I must hunt down an allen wrench big enough to remove said plug (its a BIG plug). I am taking pictures as I perform this task since it seems no one has installed a block heater on an Edge and will post when completed.

OK, update to my previous thread about the block heater or lack thereof. I found and purchased a block heater from O'Reilly's autoparts store for 32 bucks. I have located the plug that requires removal to install the block heater but I must hunt down an allen wrench big enough to remove said plug (its a BIG plug). I am taking pictures as I perform this task since it seems no one has installed a block heater on an Edge and will post when completed.

It can be done.

you will need to drain coolant and get two gaskets from Ford dealer.

parts 5F263 and 5E241 are gaskets for the right hand ( rear ) catalytic muffler.

you will have to remove the muffler to get to the block plug.

The correct parts for the block heater, cover and harness are:

Block Heater 6A051

Cover to protect harness from the hot exhaust

Electrical harness

6B018

There is also a O ring but not sure the part number.

I have done this to my 2007 Edge and yes you need a hoist and few hours to do this.

If you have questions you can send me a message.

Richard