4 prong trailer plug

I installed an aftermarket Class II Hidden Hitch on my 2009 Ford Edge. I am towing a 2000 Yamaha Waverunner. My question is has anyone merely "tapped" into current wires in the rear with wire splicers to hook up the 4 prong plug for a boat trailer? I think the $50 price tag on the T-connector wiring harness is a bit much. I paid $10 bucks for the 4 prong at Wal Mart. I know in the olden days my father tapped into the wires already available. I just need brakes, turn signals, and ground, right?

You might want to watch this----

http://www.etrailer.com/tv-wiring-install-...-ford-edge.aspx

From their site: "Modulite or Powered Converter - Used with vehicles that do not provide enough electrical power to handle the additional strain of powering trailer lights, the Modulite or powered system draws power directly from the battery but still connects to the vehicle's wiring system to determine when to power the lights on the trailer. If there are too many lights on the trailer for the vehicle's electrical system to provide adequate power, use a modulite or powered converter. A modulite installs the same way as a standard converter except an extra wire must be run to the battery. Instead of drawing power from the vehicle wiring system, a modulite draws power directly from the vehicle battery. This is safer because the extra amps to power the trailer are no longer going through the expensive electrical components of the vehicle. More vehicles are using thinner gauge wire and require a modulite, regardless of how many lights are on the trailer, simply to protect their wiring system."

I think people have found they cannot just tap existing lamp wires. BTW, you need running lights, brake/turn signal lights (usually common) and ground.

Edited by Grey

I installed an aftermarket Class II Hidden Hitch on my 2009 Ford Edge. I am towing a 2000 Yamaha Waverunner. My question is has anyone merely "tapped" into current wires in the rear with wire splicers to hook up the 4 prong plug for a boat trailer? I think the $50 price tag on the T-connector wiring harness is a bit much. I paid $10 bucks for the 4 prong at Wal Mart. I know in the olden days my father tapped into the wires already available. I just need brakes, turn signals, and ground, right?

I think the only way you can tap directly in to the electrical system and have it work would be if your trailer only had LED lighting on it. Anything more than that and you would be asking for trouble.