Air Dam

dadrett

Can anyone confirm functionality of short 1-3/4”- 2-1/4” “air dam” attached to bottom of black portion of front bumper? It seems to be a curb catcher/driveway dragger. An air dam can serve to create a low-pressure area below car to aid cooling,  but this one may just be a styling feature. Or maybe it’s used to strengthen bottom edge of bumper. I like the look with it removed, but I don't want to interfere with cooling or other important purpose.

post-5957-1261408392_thumb.jpgpost-5957-1261408392_thumb.jpgpost-5957-1261409529_thumb.jpg

(1) Bumper grill & air dam in place. (2) Charcoal window screen to keep bugs out of radiator & black pet screen to help protect trans. cooler. (3) F-150 bug collection after 700 mile trip.

12-22-09 - Have recently completed two 300+ mile trips @ interstate speeds (65-80 mph) & nothing blew up, so unless someone chimes in with advice to the contrary, I'll take it that I'm OK with air dam removal.

DSC_2334.JPG

Edited by dadrett

• 2 months later...

I have been wondering this myself and have the same concerns as you. ...how it has been doing without it so far?

Since I added 12-22-09 comment to post #1 above, I have taken some more trips. Two back to back at 110 miles each & two of 300+ miles. I have not encountered any problems yet. One reason I don’t like appearance of air dam is it’s not straight across the bottom. It curves up in the middle. The one on the 2010 (& maybe also 2009) is straight across at the bottom. If I were to replace, I’d use newer straight bottom version (provided bolt hole placement is same.)

• 9 years later...

Long time no post.  Sorry Torquerules, but this is most likely too late to help you.  This is my first post on this thread since December 2010.  I've replaced my 2007 Edge with a 2017 Toyota RAV4 Limited Hybrid.

Reason?  Ford didn't/doesn't built Edge hybrids.  Escape seemed a little too small.  Seems there was a rumor that Ford was working on a hydrogen fuel cell motor using the Edge platform.  This was some time ago and haven't hear anything further.

Reason for this post: sold Edge Sept. 2017 with 66k+ miles and still have air dam in garage attic.  Also have LED high-mount (3rd) brake light, Dash-Mat, 4 tannish color dash vents (replaced by black) (if I can find them).  Probably some more I've forgotten about.  Maybe I should start new "flea market" thread.  Do any of the first adopters still have their 2007 Edges?

Edited by dadrett