Cold Brake Grinding

45auto

Purchased a new 2010 Limited AWD for the wife's daily driver. Noticed on the demo ride, brakes sound like they have sand in them when they are cold. Went away after they warmed up, about 1 mile later. I tested another unit, it was also cold out and this unit haden't been driven either, so it was a good check. This one did it too, but no where near as bad and the grinding sound went away much quicker the ours. I kind of chalked it up to the fact that this other unit I tested had the 18" wheels and ours has the 20's. I know I can't be the only one out here that has experienced this brake noise while cold. Anyone out here chime in on this subject? I thought for a moment maybe Ford is using Ceramic pads and that could be creating this, then that thought vanished, as I chuckled and said, Naw, they wouldn't spend the $$ to put those on a production car. Of course the Salesman nor the service Dept. could answer that one either! My next step will be to replace the OEM pads with another brand. If anyone has already done this with success, please tell me which brand pads you used.

Purchased a new 2010 Limited AWD for the wife's daily driver. Noticed on the demo ride, brakes sound like they have sand in them when they are cold. Went away after they warmed up, about 1 mile later. I tested another unit, it was also cold out and this unit haden't been driven either, so it was a good check. This one did it too, but no where near as bad and the grinding sound went away much quicker the ours. I kind of chalked it up to the fact that this other unit I tested had the 18" wheels and ours has the 20's. I know I can't be the only one out here that has experienced this brake noise while cold. Anyone out here chime in on this subject? I thought for a moment maybe Ford is using Ceramic pads and that could be creating this, then that thought vanished, as I chuckled and said, Naw, they wouldn't spend the $$ to put those on a production car. Of course the Salesman nor the service Dept. could answer that one either! My next step will be to replace the OEM pads with another brand. If anyone has already done this with success, please tell me which brand pads you used.

Hi 45auto. :D While it is always difficult to do Internet diagnosis, your "problem" is most likely not a problem at all.

When the vehicle has not been driven for a day or so (even just overnight), the moisture in the air creates minor "surface rust" on the brake rotors. Sometimes when lightly rusted, it may not even be easily visible to the naked eye. Other times, after a day or two of rain and no driving, it will make the rotors look visibly rusty.

The "grinding" you hear is only the rust being wiped off by the brake pads the first few times you apply the brakes. Once it is wiped off by those first few brake applications, it will not return and will not make the grinding noise again until the car sits long enough to develop the same surface rust.

Save your money and don't replace the brake pads. At least not to rid yourself of the morning grinding noise. If you want to change the pads for performance reasons, go ahead. But the new pads will still make the same noise when they wipe off the surface rust.

Assuming it is the noise I am imagining, it is completely normal.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

I live where it is cold and mine do the same thing, sounds like it is groaning as I pull out of the garage in the morning. I also notice it when the car sits overnite after being driven in the rain.

I hear the same thing and although the noise from surface rust is normal we still shouldn't be hearing it so clearly on the inside of the vehicle. Seems to me it is from lack of insulation in the wheel wells. In fact there is no insulation around the spare tire at all.

This is something im going to bring up with service when I bring it in for my first oil change.

I must say it is the only thing that annoys me about the Edge and don't see why Ford couldnt have corrected this by the 2010 model.

Edited by MOFSTEEL

Though the "rust" kind of sounds like an excuse to me, I think maybe it "could" be possible in an extreme situation. I have never, in my life , experienced this on any new car or truck I've owned, and I've owned a lot LOL. IMO, rust has nothing to do with this and I believe it is more of a characteristic of the Edge, due to the material this particular pad is made from. My son bought his new F150 the same day, a two car deal so to speak, his does not do it. I know, I'll hear, it's truck brakes. It's annoying if anything else and I know it won't hurt anything.

Though the "rust" kind of sounds like an excuse to me, I think maybe it "could" be possible in an extreme situation. I have never, in my life , experienced this on any new car or truck I've owned, and I've owned a lot LOL. IMO, rust has nothing to do with this and I believe it is more of a characteristic of the Edge, due to the material this particular pad is made from. My son bought his new F150 the same day, a two car deal so to speak, his does not do it. I know, I'll hear, it's truck brakes. It's annoying if anything else and I know it won't hurt anything.

I've noticed it many times, not only on my Edge, but on my company car as well. It usually happens on rainy or damp days and when the brakes are applied the second time the grinding is gone.

Again, IMO, the so called "rust" has nothing to do with this. I say this, as someone who has worked on cars a good portion of my life. I will agree with some of Depiry response, as our Edge has the 20" wheels and noise transmission sounds logical to me too. I believe it to be materials related to these parts.