Build Sheet Code Interpretation

Does anyone have a readily available resource for interpreting the “Build Sheet” for my 09 Edge. I assume I could contact my local Ford dealership or Ford Motor Co for that type document or information if no one has this available, correct?

Assuming someone may be interested in where I found my Build Sheet… We recently purchased our 09 Edge SEL AWD with approximately 19.5K. While with the hood up, I noticed a very small portion of paper protruding from the mid-front area between the hood and insulation attached to the underside of the hood. I extracted the paper which turned out to be my Build Sheet or at least a portion of it, about 6 ½ inches of the top portion. The bottom edge began a missing area entitled, “Remarks: (The following information supersedes equipment requested above).” I understand from other web searches that this bottom portion of a Build Sheet describes the options for the respective vehicle. I did remove some of the tabs from the hood insulation for further search and hoping to find more of my Build Sheet, but to no avail.

Any further insight or clarification as to what I’m missing in the lower portion of my Build Sheet?

I understand that Build Sheets have been discovered in a variety of locations in and on a vehicle through the years. I would be interested learning where others may have found their vehicle's Build Sheet, especially if between the hood and hood insulatiion.

Also, does anyone know why Build Sheets have been discovered in such unusual locations inside the vehicle, such as on top of the gas tank, inside the dash, behind the seats, etc. It would seem logical that the document would be routinely left in a visible location for inclusion with the other paperwork.

Thanks for any input provided.

Does anyone have a readily available resource for interpreting the “Build Sheet” for my 09 Edge. I assume I could contact my local Ford dealership or Ford Motor Co for that type document or information if no one has this available, correct?

Assuming someone may be interested in where I found my Build Sheet… We recently purchased our 09 Edge SEL AWD with approximately 19.5K. While with the hood up, I noticed a very small portion of paper protruding from the mid-front area between the hood and insulation attached to the underside of the hood. I extracted the paper which turned out to be my Build Sheet or at least a portion of it, about 6 ½ inches of the top portion. The bottom edge began a missing area entitled, “Remarks: (The following information supersedes equipment requested above).” I understand from other web searches that this bottom portion of a Build Sheet describes the options for the respective vehicle. I did remove some of the tabs from the hood insulation for further search and hoping to find more of my Build Sheet, but to no avail.

Any further insight or clarification as to what I’m missing in the lower portion of my Build Sheet?

I understand that Build Sheets have been discovered in a variety of locations in and on a vehicle through the years. I would be interested learning where others may have found their vehicle's Build Sheet, especially if between the hood and hood insulatiion.

Also, does anyone know why Build Sheets have been discovered in such unusual locations inside the vehicle, such as on top of the gas tank, inside the dash, behind the seats, etc. It would seem logical that the document would be routinely left in a visible location for inclusion with the other paperwork.

Thanks for any input provided.

I've found build sheets under the back seats, hood insulation, kick panels and trunks. Doesn't really help a vehicle owner since the codes are pretty much plant specific. The codes don't easily convert to service part numbers.. If you want a lot of detail on your vehicle build, ask your service advisor to run a Bill of Materials on your VIN through OASIS. The OASIS report will also tell you when your vehicle was built, which may be needed if they made mid-model part changes during the year.

The build sheet tells the assembly personnel in the plant whick wiring harness, struts, radiator, audio system/speakers, trim pieces, etc. go on a particular vehicle. Most parts are staged - matched to a specific vehicle as the vehicle goes down the line but sometimes a selection of parts has to be made from bulk storage. The build sheet, usually hanging on the door glass, tells the assemblier which parts go on this vehicle. If the sheet says "AJA" speaker they will pick the appropriate parts from the "AJA" bin for installation. After assembly, the "AJA" code has very little relavence - but you might see it on the part as the suffex to the engineering number.

Often the multiple build sheets are tossed at the end of the line, but sometimes they are stuffed behind a panel when they are no longer needed in the assembly process. Don't always expect to find one.