2010 Exhaust system

Nomos

I bought a 2010 SEL in early March. I'm a little disappointed with the exhaust note, as it sounds rather like a little Fiesta rather than a beefy V6. The in-cabin engine noise is fine, I just want a deeper sounding exhaust. I've been looking at AutoAnything.com for some different exhaust systems, but when I crawled under the back of the car to measure, I noticed that the 2010 is significantly different from the only exhaust systems I've seen photos of (cat-backs mostly). The muffler itself is about midway down the underside of the car, and the 3" exhaust piping is fairly straight until it Y's into what looks like 2 smaller mufflers. I know almost nothing about exhaust systems, so I'm curious to know if anyone can tell me the purpose of those 2 pieces. Will removing these or changing them out improve the sound of my girly-sounding car? I would think they're 2nd mufflers but I don't know for sure (not needed?) Thanks for your input!

Pictures of what I'm talking about:

Picture 1: This is the muffler (I think) in the middle of the car:

IMG00012-20100411-1446.jpg

Picture 2: This is the Y joint splitting the exhaust pipe into the 2 additional mufflers (?)

IMG00011-20100411-1445.jpg

Picture 3: This is the best picture I could get of the entire thing.

IMG00015-20100411-1447.jpg

Edited by Nomos

I'm pretty sure cutting off your catalytic converters will not only sound horrible but it would also be illegal.

If you wanted a "beefy" sounding exhaust you should have bought a v8 but if you want a more throaty exhaust note get yourself a Magnaflow exhaust. There are also several threads here in which people have posted pics of their aftermarket exhaust setup.

Good luck which your search!

Edited by MOFSTEEL

Ok, so those are catalytic converters? I thought those were right after the exhaust manifold, then came the muffler. I guess I never heard of putting the cats at the end of the flow. I guess also that the aftermarket kits totally change the setup since I've never seen a stock exhaust system in photos before.

And if Ford had put a V8 in this car, that's what I'd have had. Since no mid-size crossovers have a V8, I guess i'm stuck with a V6. At least it's not a turbocharged I4.

Edited by Nomos

My mistake. I just peeked under my Edge and those "unknown devices" are also mufflers.

Looks like the system has a resonator and three mufflers. This was my first time taking a look at the system

and judging from your pics I thought they were cats. A new catback will definitely be benefical.

whew, I'm glad I'm not as retarded as I thought I was there for a minute. The pipe from that first muffler back is great for flow it looks like, so I might look into replacing those back 2 mufflers (which is what I thought they were, but wasn't sure) with something that sounds better and might flow better...I'll head over to the muffler shop and see what I can do.

• 2 months later...

whew, I'm glad I'm not as retarded as I thought I was there for a minute. The pipe from that first muffler back is great for flow it looks like, so I might look into replacing those back 2 mufflers (which is what I thought they were, but wasn't sure) with something that sounds better and might flow better...I'll head over to the muffler shop and see what I can do.

How did you make out at the muffler shop Nomos? Was there a replacement or custom set the shop could put on for those restricted mufflers the Edge has? I would like to change just the mufflers to a better flowing set rather than pay $700.00 to get the Magnaflow Catback in Canada, witch only has a different muffler from the setup that we already have. The pipe is the same size and the resonator that we have is not restrictive so \I only see the muffler as being any different.

How did you make out at the muffler shop Nomos? Was there a replacement or custom set the shop could put on for those restricted mufflers the Edge has? I would like to change just the mufflers to a better flowing set rather than pay $700.00 to get the Magnaflow Catback in Canada, witch only has a different muffler from the setup that we already have. The pipe is the same size and the resonator that we have is not restrictive so \I only see the muffler as being any different.

You can find the Magnaflow on ebay for under 500.

I'm a little late to the discussion...

Something to consider - how about just removing the "resonators" and installing a section of pipe in its place?

The reason for "multiple" mufflers is the restriction on "real estate" to install parts under the vehicle. I'm sure there are some "corporate" limits for exhaust "volume" - the second set of resonators are often installed to address lowering the exhaust "tone"....

I'll bet a muffler shop would cut out the "resonators" and install a section of pipe for under $100.

Keep the "resonators" and have them reinstalled if you don't like the new "tone".

Thanks for the replys guys. I looked on ebay and the cheapest I could find was $641 plus shipping. I looked on the .ca and the .com both the same. StrongWind thats a good point you have there, its just that I'm after better flow to work in conjunction with my X3 tuner that I got from Evolution. I'm feeling the Major Increase In Throttle Response but not the 24 RWHP and 19 RWTQ gain. 24 rear wheel horse power with a 25% lose in drive train is around 32 fly wheel horse power to add on to the 265 we already have. I have the CAI. I just don't have the exhaust. I'm feeling around 15 hp gain. Some people say you can't feel that hp but believe me I can tell just a 10 horse power gain. I have good knowledge in modifying cars to make more hp and it comes with a price. Usually it cost around $150 for every 10hp and every degree of timing you can add to the motor is Worth 10hp. Our motor is like a air compressor get as much air in as you can and then try to get it out. I have read on here were some one said if you want a sports car go buy one, whats wrong with having a SUV that goes fast but doesn't break our wallet. Please don't get me wrong on this I'm not trying to be smart I just want you to understand what my problem is.