kayaks on vista roof

pnewport

I hope I'm posting properly and appropriately.

Have 2008 Edge with vista moonroof. I have read most, if not all, of the posts on this subject but I have yet to find where anyone has put kayaks on top of any of the rack applications.

I see where most of the tower applications have a 100 pound weight limit but Thule has the 400xt Aero Foot Package, fit kit 2191, LB58 58" load bars, 544-4pk lock cores, with a (recommended?) bar spread of 29". They list a maximum weight of 165 pounds. It states that you can choose longer load bars.

I also saw where Rackn-something in California installed what looks like rails bolted to the roof of an Edge over the door support area but it as apparently just a few days ago and appears to be posted by the vendor? I apologize, in advance, if I am wrong about this.

My husband and I are seniors and will eventually need assistance getting these 12' kayaks (2) on top of the Edge so the Thule Hullavator and another system by another mfg. that uses a ratcheting system seem like what we need. I see where someone installed a Hullavator on a week-old Edge, on the factory rails, and it was not satisfactory.

Has anyone done, or have first-hand knowledge of, carrying 130 pounds of kayaks on an Edge with the vista roof?

We would only need to do this when towing the car behind our RV as we have a truck and can use that for local stuff if necessary.

I am on the verge of getting rid of my beautiful Edge if I can't work something out. I don't want to damage the car or my kayaks.

Thank you for all the great postings and pictures about what many of you have done. It has answered a lot of my questions, it's just that most of you seem to be carrying bikes or boxes and nothing as heavy as what I'm talking about.

I don't care if the moonroof opens. Also, I'm wondering about something I could put over the glass to protect it or if I might just make damage more probable.

Just trying to cover all the bases before 1) buying the 12' kayaks and 2) trading cars.

Thank you in advance for any additional information you can give me or that I might have missed.

• Like 1