Check Engine Light is on AGAIN!

Ghastly

In late May, I purchased a 2008 Edge Limited with 46,000 miles. Within two weeks of picking it up, the Check Engine Light came on. I took it to Autozone to read the codes and found it could be a cam-shaft sensor and/or solenoid issue. One physical symptom I observed was that the car would "rock" a bit when stopped at an intersection.

Local Ford dealer took 4.5 days to diagnose, order parts and fix it. They replaced the cam-shaft sensors all around and a couple of other parts (don't have the invoice handy to give specifics). Fortunately, all was covered under the 5/60,000 powertrain warranty. Unfortunately, the cost of the rental car for the week was out of my pocket.

Since then, the CEL came on about a week after the repair. I brought it back to the dealer and after having it for a day, they diagnosed it as a loose connection. (They paid for the rental car this time)

All was fine for about two weeks when the CEL light came on again. Since my commute is rather short, I drove it for a couple of days and the CEL went off on its own. I was NOT feeling the rocking sensation like before.

Fast forward three weeks and the CEL came on again. It stayed on for four days and went off on its own for about two hours when it came back on again.

I called the dealer and will be bringing it back for a third time in three months.

Has anyone else had chronic issues with the cam-shaft sensors, solenoids, valves, etc? I've seen several posts on the boards regarding similar issues. Just looking for outcomes. I love the Edge, but am getting sick of having to worry about when and if the light will come on again. Plus, it's not easy to spend that kind of money on a car and have issues like this. The CarFax report was clean - not that it matters much.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

In late May, I purchased a 2008 Edge Limited with 46,000 miles. Within two weeks of picking it up, the Check Engine Light came on. I took it to Autozone to read the codes and found it could be a cam-shaft sensor and/or solenoid issue. One physical symptom I observed was that the car would "rock" a bit when stopped at an intersection.

Local Ford dealer took 4.5 days to diagnose, order parts and fix it. They replaced the cam-shaft sensors all around and a couple of other parts (don't have the invoice handy to give specifics). Fortunately, all was covered under the 5/60,000 powertrain warranty. Unfortunately, the cost of the rental car for the week was out of my pocket.

Since then, the CEL came on about a week after the repair. I brought it back to the dealer and after having it for a day, they diagnosed it as a loose connection. (They paid for the rental car this time)

All was fine for about two weeks when the CEL light came on again. Since my commute is rather short, I drove it for a couple of days and the CEL went off on its own. I was NOT feeling the rocking sensation like before.

Fast forward three weeks and the CEL came on again. It stayed on for four days and went off on its own for about two hours when it came back on again.

I called the dealer and will be bringing it back for a third time in three months.

Has anyone else had chronic issues with the cam-shaft sensors, solenoids, valves, etc? I've seen several posts on the boards regarding similar issues. Just looking for outcomes. I love the Edge, but am getting sick of having to worry about when and if the light will come on again. Plus, it's not easy to spend that kind of money on a car and have issues like this. The CarFax report was clean - not that it matters much.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Based on your description I would check the O2 sensor(s). Some cars have more than one. I have had a couple of cars with the problem you describe and that has been the most common result. Next time the CEL is on take it to dealer or somewhere else that can read the code. Don't turn off the engine until the code has been read.

Good Luck!

Based on your description I would check the O2 sensor(s). Some cars have more than one. I have had a couple of cars with the problem you describe and that has been the most common result. Next time the CEL is on take it to dealer or somewhere else that can read the code. Don't turn off the engine until the code has been read.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the good luck!

Dropped it off this morning and the dealer just called. It's the cam shaft phasers and they're covered under the warranty. They said it's driveable for now, so I'm going to pick it up and will bring it back in when the parts come in. They should cover my cost for the rental car as well since I believe this is the same issue that they fixed six weeks ago. I'll keep the board posted.

• 4 weeks later...

It's for this very reason that when I change the oil on mine I use the Motorcraft oil and Motorcraft filter. Todays vehicles that are equipped with variable cam timing such as the Edge are very critical on the oil as it is the oil that controls the variable cam timing. This is an ongoing battle with Ford as I have repaired alot of the V8 motors that use the same setup. Funny how you never really run into these issues on Honda or Toyota engines that use this same type of system and have been using it for at least a decade now.