Adjust Subwoofer Volume

Hello,

I have looked around the forums and google as well without much success.

Do any of you know and would be able to explain how I might be able to adjust the volume on my subwoofer.

I have the 2010 edge limited with the 8"sub and amp. & nav system.

When I put the stereo in radio mode then hold both presets 3 & 6 for around 3 seconds it goes into speaker walk around test mode.

In that time I can really hear my sub or should I say feel it.

otherwise I never ever hear or feel the sub.

When I go into the audio section of the touch screen i get bass/treble adjustments but it makes the rest of the speakers sound like they are being bassed and I still never hear or feel the sub.

Can anyone help me with adjusting my sub so the sound carries more depth and feel please?

Thank you in advance.

No one has any suggestions on how to check the output volume on my sub?

It sounds loud and deep on the walk around test but I cant get a single "thump" from it during any type of music I try.

:(

There really isn't a way to check or change it other than to listen to it. If it passes the speaker test then it should be working.

You said you checked the bass levels. What about DSP modes? Turn the bass all the way up and you should hear something. If not then go back to the dealer and compare it to a new one. That will tell you if it's normal or not.

Factory systems will not put out the type of bass that you'd get from an aftermarket sub so it's possible your expectations are a tad too high.

Thanks for responding akirby.

Yes in the walk around test mode it sends a tone through all 9 speakers.. This tone is louder coming out of each speaker than the normal volume level of the music I have playing. Thats why I was hoping the subwoofer had some sort of independent volume control or gain controller located on the sub/amp behind the hatch area.

I have actually turned up the bass in the bass/treble location of the sound controls of the touch screen interface but to my ears it just sounds like the other 8 speakers get deeper and it still doesnt give that "boom" I can feel when the speaker walk around test is occouring. In the test mode it actually vibrates the mirror. I dont get anything like that or even remotely close to full sound otherwise.

DSP modes, I have set it for "driver" but for almost a year I have had it set for "all seats" or whatever the term is.

I still havent figured out how to adjust the equalizer even though I can see it spectrum'd on the touch screen.

If there is something I am missing I would gladly tweak or adjust it.

I done need or want window rattling but honestly the wife and I feel its not full which it should be with a 8" sub in an enclosed cabin.

Edited by slidermike

Thanks for responding akirby.

Yes in the walk around test mode it sends a tone through all 9 speakers.. This tone is louder coming out of each speaker than the normal volume level of the music I have playing. Thats why I was hoping the subwoofer had some sort of independent volume control or gain controller located on the sub/amp behind the hatch area.

I have actually turned up the bass in the bass/treble location of the sound controls of the touch screen interface but to my ears it just sounds like the other 8 speakers get deeper and it still doesnt give that "boom" I can feel when the speaker walk around test is occouring. In the test mode it actually vibrates the mirror. I dont get anything like that or even remotely close to full sound otherwise.

DSP modes, I have set it for "driver" but for almost a year I have had it set for "all seats" or whatever the term is.

I still havent figured out how to adjust the equalizer even though I can see it spectrum'd on the touch screen.

If there is something I am missing I would gladly tweak or adjust it.

I done need or want window rattling but honestly the wife and I feel its not full which it should be with a 8" sub in an enclosed cabin.

Look in the manual for the entertainment system and see if there is a separate equalizer setting other than the normal bass adjustment. Look for settings like "rock" or "classical" or "jazz" or "news". Other than that I'd do the comparison with a new one like I suggested. That's the only way to really tell if it's working normally.

Thanks again akirby for responding.

No the manual didn't mention being able to adjust the music type settings such as rock etc.

I suppose I am just asking too much from a stock sound system.

It surely ISN'T the Bose I have in my 10 yr old Infinity.

:)

Guess my next quest is to locate an after market sub/amp that will still fit and plug into the stock location.

• 3 months later...

I know I'm dredging up a 4-month old post, but I know exactly what the OP is talking about.

I had an '08 Edge SEL withOUT the audiophile system and I couldn't believe how much that subwoofer thumped. I thought it was excellent for a stock system. When I sprung for my 2010 Limited with NAV and audiophile, one of the reasons I did so because I was so happy with the previous system that I had in my '08. Now, I'm disappointed.

Just like sliderMike, there is good output in the speaker test mode, but hardly anything in normal listening modes. If I put my ear up against the sub with the stereo at a fairly high volume, I can hear that the sub is working, but it is very quiet.

Anyone else have any other ideas? I guess I can take it back to the dealer, but it is a 50 mile round trip and I'm pretty sure I'll get the runaround....

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks again akirby for responding.

No the manual didn't mention being able to adjust the music type settings such as rock etc.

I suppose I am just asking too much from a stock sound system.

It surely ISN'T the Bose I have in my 10 yr old Infinity.

:)

Guess my next quest is to locate an after market sub/amp that will still fit and plug into the stock location.

I know I'm dredging up a 4-month old post, but I know exactly what the OP is talking about.

I had an '08 Edge SEL withOUT the audiophile system and I couldn't believe how much that subwoofer thumped. I thought it was excellent for a stock system. When I sprung for my 2010 Limited with NAV and audiophile, one of the reasons I did so because I was so happy with the previous system that I had in my '08. Now, I'm disappointed.

Just like sliderMike, there is good output in the speaker test mode, but hardly anything in normal listening modes. If I put my ear up against the sub with the stereo at a fairly high volume, I can hear that the sub is working, but it is very quiet.

Anyone else have any other ideas? I guess I can take it back to the dealer, but it is a 50 mile round trip and I'm pretty sure I'll get the runaround....

Thanks,

Chris

This may sound obvious but have you checked the bass setting? What about DSP?

On the mkx the system can as needed reduce output dynamically during peak transients (read any peak including a bass line) to reduce distortion at higher listening volumes. This is built in to the software and not something that can be gotten around without a little aftermarket hardware or a software update. Not sure if it applies in your rod but based on your description it sounds possible. Especially since I see the same in the mkx. Being a home theater enthusiast and listing to a fully calibrated system I can say that the bass does not play musically in my car, it is one notely and will not step up. At a guess I would think most people prefer more elevated bass levels than I do meaning they would probably perceive it as weaker than I would. I normally listen at about 15 to 25 below reference depending on the material, source, and of course mood.

Thanks for the replies.

No problem with questioning the obvious. I've been around long enough to know that the simplest solution is never the most unlikely.

I have adjusted the bass settings and the effect is minimal on subwoofer output. It does add some low end to the rest of the speakers, though, although I suspect that I am shortening their life by trying to use them to compensate for the poor performance of the sub. I think that I would be reducing the bass setting if the subwoofer was working as I think it should. I'm running a higher bass setting on this '10 with, IMO, a subpar subwoofer than I was in the '08.

I've got the DSP on "All Seats". I've tried the other settings and it didn't seem to make much of a difference (in subwoofer output).

I should also note that I'm not a heavy rap/hip-hop listener. ALthough I do occasionally listen to that genre, my tastes run more towards rock/alternative/country. All that to say...I'm not looking to shake the mirrors, rattle the rear hatch, etc.

Thanks,

Chris