self disabeling 12Vpower plugs

Power them from a "switched" circuit i.e. one that is controlled by the ignition key,

stats.gif

I power my radar detector from a switched circuit in the fuse panel just forward of the drivers door.

My phone charger charges my phone in an hour or less. after charging I unplug it.

My GPS is is wired into a hot circuit in the fuse panel by the drivers door, I shut it off when I get to my destination and remove it so that I can maintain ownership.redcard.gif

Edited by Platinum White

Power them from a "switched" circuit i.e. one that is controlled by the ignition key,

stats.gif

I power my radar detector from a switched circuit in the fuse panel just forward of the drivers door.

My phone charger charges my phone in an hour or less. after charging I unplug it.

My GPS is is wired into a hot circuit in the fuse panel by the drivers door, I shut it off when I get to my destination and remove it so that I can maintain ownership.redcard.gif

Is this easily done or do you have to have a tech. do this?

how do you know which wires to change if you have to do this?

Thanks

Is this easily done or do you have to have a tech. do this?

how do you know which wires to change if you have to do this?

Thanks

Most new and even some used vehicles come with an owners manual. In the owners manual is information regarding fuses and the component that is protected. My fuse information is in a section called "Roadside Emergencies".

As an EXAMPLE, fuse #14 protects the power lift gate module with a 10 amp fuse . The power lift gate, if equipped, will operate without the ignition key switch in the ON position. This circuit could also be used to power your GPS or any other attachment that you want to have powered with the key in OFF.

In all fuse panels there is a "HOT" side and a "LOAD" side, the fuse bridges these two. If there is an over current situation the fuse will disconnect the "LOAD" side. To find which is the "LOAD" side remove the fuse and check both connection points in the fuse panel for 12 volts with a meter or test light. The side with 0 volts or no light illumination is the "LOAD" side. Insert the + (positive) wire into the load side and reinstall the fuse. Connect the other wire to a ground (any screw that attaches something to the vehicles metal ).

If you want a circuit that is switched find one that is ON and OFF with the ignition switch.

CAUTION I left my cell phone charger plugged in for 24 hours and when I went to use the vehicle it would not start. The cell phone charger drained the battery.

Thanks this is very helpful

RONC

Most new and even some used vehicles come with an owners manual. In the owners manual is information regarding fuses and the component that is protected. My fuse information is in a section called "Roadside Emergencies".

As an EXAMPLE, fuse #14 protects the power lift gate module with a 10 amp fuse . The power lift gate, if equipped, will operate without the ignition key switch in the ON position. This circuit could also be used to power your GPS or any other attachment that you want to have powered with the key in OFF.

In all fuse panels there is a "HOT" side and a "LOAD" side, the fuse bridges these two. If there is an over current situation the fuse will disconnect the "LOAD" side. To find which is the "LOAD" side remove the fuse and check both connection points in the fuse panel for 12 volts with a meter or test light. The side with 0 volts or no light illumination is the "LOAD" side. Insert the + (positive) wire into the load side and reinstall the fuse. Connect the other wire to a ground (any screw that attaches something to the vehicles metal ).

If you want a circuit that is switched find one that is ON and OFF with the ignition switch.

CAUTION I left my cell phone charger plugged in for 24 hours and when I went to use the vehicle it would not start. The cell phone charger drained the battery.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you have more of an issue other than leaving your cell-phone plugged in - as it cannot draw enough power from the battery to completely drain it in 24 hours. I've got a Lotus Elise with a racing battery that can become fully depleted in a week just due to the active alarm system. Ford uses larger capacity batteries than my race battery and I've never had one go out because I left a cell phone charger or GPS or radar detector plugged up. You may want to take your battery to a local shop to have it tested and make sure it's not bad. You may also want to have your alternator checked to see if it's charging your battery to it's fullest. Leaving your cell phone plugged in - even if the socket is active - shouldn't drain your battery in a week must-less 24 hours.

Sounds like you have more of an issue other than leaving your cell-phone plugged in - as it cannot draw enough power from the battery to completely drain it in 24 hours. I've got a Lotus Elise with a racing battery that can become fully depleted in a week just due to the active alarm system. Ford uses larger capacity batteries than my race battery and I've never had one go out because I left a cell phone charger or GPS or radar detector plugged up. You may want to take your battery to a local shop to have it tested and make sure it's not bad. You may also want to have your alternator checked to see if it's charging your battery to it's fullest. Leaving your cell phone plugged in - even if the socket is active - shouldn't drain your battery in a week must-less 24 hours.

I left my cell phone charger plugged in to, just the charger not the phone. After 3 days it was dead, wouldn't start. I jumped the battery and it started and charged the battery up. That was over a year ago, I haven't had a battery problem since.

Edited by Tomcher