Taking delivery and Inspection

ninerhawk

I haven't taken delivery of a new vehicle in a long time, especially a feature rich one like the Limited I ordered and expect soon. Is there a standard procedure that dealers follow to checkout or explain features, or does each dealer vary in their approach when one takes delivery? I have treid to reveiw the forums to think of things to review at that time, but it seems like a checklist could be extensive or difficult to put together.

What have others experienced or wished they had known before taking delivery?

Excellent question!

I would love to know this as well!

My sales girl isn't to tech savy so I have no idea what to expect when I go to pick it up.

I read that someone picked up their new 2011 and the sales person already had their Navi configured for them, connected their Iphone and a bunch of other stuff as well. I guess it will vary from place to place.

I also read that someone went for their delivery and the car was outside sitting in the rain sorta dirty where another person had their car inside the garage all shined up for them.

I wonder what I'll get when I pick mine up next month...

Excellent question!

I would love to know this as well!

My sales girl isn't to tech savy so I have no idea what to expect when I go to pick it up.

I read that someone picked up their new 2011 and the sales person already had their Navi configured for them, connected their Iphone and a bunch of other stuff as well. I guess it will vary from place to place.

I also read that someone went for their delivery and the car was outside sitting in the rain sorta dirty where another person had their car inside the garage all shined up for them.

I wonder what I'll get when I pick mine up next month...

Yes, it seems like it has been all over the board for delivery/pick up. I knew more about the car and it's tech then the sales guy did. In his defense - he only had two days to check it out (mine was the first one they ordered and received). He tried to go through a ford check list, but it was pretty high level. I am pretty sure if we had acted like I wanted to spend longer there he would have done more. My husband is rather techie and so he got most of the technical stuff set up while we were waiting on paperwork that should have been done before we got there but whatever (I am ready for amazon style car shopping).

I would be on the look out for any major things - damage from shipping (they should have already found), someone had sharp edges on their vista roof where they cut a finger, make sure your SD nav card works.

Make sure you go with lots of time and a full stomach. You could be there hours if you want your dealer to really go over stuff.

But enjoy - and post pics.

I don't know that I would spend alot of time on going over the features. The owners manual explains all of them alot better than any one of the salesmen will ever do. WHat is important though is cosmetics. Make sure the vehicle is clean, if it is parked under cover move it outside in the sun so you can get a good look at it(do not take delivery at night), look down the sides very carefully for any dings, get up close and look for scratches, look at all the body gaps and make sure they are even. The cosmetics are the #1 thing to be concerned at this time because once you drive it off the lot anything you notice is "your fault" and do all of this before signing any paperwork that way if there are things tha you need taken care of it can state so in the paperwork, DO NOT TAKE THEIR WORD ON IT GET IT IN WRITING.