Rear view mirror upgrade

I bought a Gentex mirror with compass and temperature to upgrade the mirror in my 2010 SEL. With the plug removed from the factory mirror, I get a "Compass No Reponse" message in the info display. I can hit reset and it clears, but it returns when the car is started again.

I thought others had done this mod, but I can't find anything in search. Has anyone encountered this, and is there a work around?

• 5 months later...

I'm having this exact issue as well. I bought my mirror through my dealer and had them install in today. It seems that the factory installed compass, is what its referring to. My mirror is working 100%, they said they are going to call Ford and see what they recommend.

I wonder if the vehicle and mirror are using the same wire for the compass. If so wouldn't it be pretty simple to splice to wires into one lead? I could care less if I have 2 compasses as long as this issue goes away.

I'm having this exact issue as well. I bought my mirror through my dealer and had them install in today. It seems that the factory installed compass, is what its referring to. My mirror is working 100%, they said they are going to call Ford and see what they recommend.

I wonder if the vehicle and mirror are using the same wire for the compass. If so wouldn't it be pretty simple to splice to wires into one lead? I could care less if I have 2 compasses as long as this issue goes away.

I did find a solution, though it's more than most would go through. I dismantled the factory mirror (which I no longer had a use for) and removed the circuit board inside. I was able to get hold of the wiring diagram for it, and figured out the pins for power and compass + and compass -. The circuit board was too large to stash in the headliner, so I relocated it under the dash. I spliced into the necessary wires up under the dome lights, and ran an extension wire under the dash. I put some female pins (Radio Shack) on the end and connected them to the proper pins on the circuit board. I held my breath and started it up. No smoke, no error message, no chime, just a working compass in the message center. Life is good, and I really like having the temp and compass on the mirror.

the dealership installed my mirror and its working 100%, my issue comes with the compass that is showing in my instrument cluster between spedo and tach. That is the one getting the warning message and not working. I don't care if I have both, but so long as the mirror works, and the warning is gone I am fine.

Matt,

sorry about that got my wires crossed on what you posted :yup:

so does the cluster compass readout work along with the mirror compass now? or does only the mirror work.

update---

Dealer told me to pound sand today when I went in at their request on how to solve this issue. I decided not to argue with the service writer anymore, so I have a call into the Service Manager, I came home and called Ford as well, should here back from them by Wednesday, but they were not pleased by the dealers response and handling so far.

Matt,

do you still have the wiring diagrams? if not where can I find them?

Edited by jimmyjoebob

My writeup above describes the steps I took to restore the cluster compass. While restoring it wasn't my primary goal, since the new mirror's compass works great, it's what I had to do to kill the compass not working message and beep.

I think I still have the wiring information. I am traveling until next week. When I return, i'll send you the info I have.

My writeup above describes the steps I took to restore the cluster compass. While restoring it wasn't my primary goal, since the new mirror's compass works great, it's what I had to do to kill the compass not working message and beep.

I think I still have the wiring information. I am traveling until next week. When I return, i'll send you the info I have.

thanks matt I appreciate it!