Overview of Nav/Sync for 07-08 needed for newbie

I am new to this forum but not the Ford Family. My girlfriend is looking at buying a newer vehicle and decided on an Edge (so it will not stick out in the yard with all the other Fords). She is pretty picky, so we have been scouring the net looking for cars all over. It has to be either red, copper, or charcoal gray, and must have heated leather seats. My question is, could someone give an overview of the Sync system? I understand its like GM's OnStar, but how do you know if the car has it and what years would be better. Right now we are looking at 07's and 08's to be in her price range. We found an 07 SEL Plus with navigation she really likes, but it is 150 miles away and I'd like to know all I can before going to look at it. Her other choice is 250 miles away... Whatever it takes for her to be happy with it. Also curious about the DVD players. I have seen a couple in the roof, but read here at some point they became available in the headrest. She'd rather have the DVD capability than a sunroof, but we have found ads don't always list whether one actually has one or not. Is there an easy way from interior pics or other features that would go with it? We have figured out how to tell memory seats, dual A/C controls, etc. I appreciate any help in advance. Tony

Edited by Alafarmer

I am new to this forum but not the Ford Family. My girlfriend is looking at buying a newer vehicle and decided on an Edge (so it will not stick out in the yard with all the other Fords). She is pretty picky, so we have been scouring the net looking for cars all over. It has to be either red, copper, or charcoal gray, and must have heated leather seats. My question is, could someone give an overview of the Sync system? I understand its like GM's OnStar, but how do you know if the car has it and what years would be better. Right now we are looking at 07's and 08's to be in her price range. We found an 07 SEL Plus with navigation she really likes, but it is 150 miles away and I'd like to know all I can before going to look at it. Her other choice is 250 miles away... Whatever it takes for her to be happy with it. Also curious about the DVD players. I have seen a couple in the roof, but read here at some point they became available in the headrest. She'd rather have the DVD capability than a sunroof, but we have found ads don't always list whether one actually has one or not. Is there an easy way from interior pics or other features that would go with it? We have figured out how to tell memory seats, dual A/C controls, etc. I appreciate any help in advance. Tony

If it has Sync you'll see a label on the center stack that either says Sync or Microsoft or both. Also look for a USB port in the front part of the center console. I don't think Sync was offered on the 07s - just the 08s. I think it was standard on the Limited and probably the SEL plus - not sure about the SEL. I don't think it was available on the SE.

Sync allows 3 basic functions

bluetooth phone connectivity for hands free phone use including voice controlled dialing and for streaming audio via bluetooth (this works for phones and bluetooth mp3 players like ipod touch)

USB mp3 player connectivity. This allows direct playback of audio and voice control as well as controls via the Nav screen if the vehicle has Nav

Sync Services - automatic 911 call in case of a crash, health check, turn by turn directions (for edges without Nav), Sirius Travel Link, etc. etc.

If you want it, find one with it because it's very hard if not impossible to retrofit.