MPG after Sync update

geodav

After my Edge Limited had the Sync update I noticed that my MPG will not get any better than 18.5 mpg. It was 21.9 before. Have reset it many times and still the same. Does anyone else have this problem?

I'm seeing the same thing, with about the same numbers. I haven't had to refuel yet to calculate the MPG myself yet, but should be able to this week to see if it's accurate. Previously when it was saying 21 - 23 i found it was pretty close so I'm interested to see what the real number is.

This is an averaged calculation. I don't know the exact distance it uses in total, it may be in the manual, but if you're still on the same tank, you've likely just not done any long haul highway driving to better your averages and the MFT update would have wiped out the old data so your starting from scratch. It has to build a database again to calculate this from. What you are seeing is likely just your average full economy since you updated your MFT. It is entirely possible they messed up the calculations, or perhaps they were wrong before and fixed it in the new update, but this update doesn't effect your fuel consumption in any way. I'd ride it for a while and report back what happens. I'm 90% sure it just needs to build your averages again.

I've reset mine a few times when I know I'm doing a lot of good highway driving vs a lot of city driving. There are huge differences. My highway stats go out the window once I've been stuck in traffic for a few days. Not to mention short hauls with a cold engine will do it as well. MPG goes down in the winter because of this.

This is an averaged calculation. I don't know the exact distance it uses in total, it may be in the manual, but if you're still on the same tank, you've likely just not done any long haul highway driving to better your averages and the MFT update would have wiped out the old data so your starting from scratch. It has to build a database again to calculate this from. What you are seeing is likely just your average full economy since you updated your MFT. It is entirely possible they messed up the calculations, or perhaps they were wrong before and fixed it in the new update, but this update doesn't effect your fuel consumption in any way. I'd ride it for a while and report back what happens. I'm 90% sure it just needs to build your averages again.

I've reset mine a few times when I know I'm doing a lot of good highway driving vs a lot of city driving. There are huge differences. My highway stats go out the window once I've been stuck in traffic for a few days. Not to mention short hauls with a cold engine will do it as well. MPG goes down in the winter because of this.

Regarding the MPG, I have tried to replicate the lab conditions(which is pretty much impossible) that the government uses to come up with these stats. However, even after driving on a level road for 30 kms at exactly 97 kph (Canada gov't guideline for highway MPG testing) using my handheld GPS rather than the speedometer, I am still 2 liters per 100km over the government rating. So, I think the best way to confirn will have to be monitoring gas usage over a few tankfuls and see what I get.

Is it typical to have such a result in comparison to government MPG tests?

Also, regarding the speedometer, it seems to be consistently about 3 kph less than the GPS(I tried a couple of different ones) at highway speed. Anyone else have same situation?

Also, regarding the speedometer, it seems to be consistently about 3 kph less than the GPS(I tried a couple of different ones) at highway speed. Anyone else have same situation?

Good point. My previous ride (Camry Hybrid) was always off about 3 mph. It had me going faster than my GPS app on iPhone as well as mile markers on the interstate. I still got speeding tickets!

I'll check the Edge when I get a chance.