New Edge Limited AWD - First impressions

NigelS

Hi All, I am now the proud owner of a 2011 Edge Limited AWD and I have to say I am delighted with it so far.

I have read here all of the posts about sync and MyFord Touch system issues and they are a bit scary, however I can say that so far my system is working just fine in all respects. It is certainly slow when using the touch screen, seems that Ford scimped on the CPU horsepower, that said it is still totally cool! Oh I checked and it has SYNC Version Gen2 - V2.4. Both mine and my wifes iphone 4's connect flawlessly and sync runs just fine.

So that said, I really wated to post my impression of something I am suprised few are talking about - Adaptive Cruise Control. Wow! It is totally cool! I drove about 260 miles yesterday, mostly freeway, and city. The cruise control is flawless, just set it to the max speed you want to travel at and then all you have to do is steer. It brakes for you even from 80mph down to 35mph when someone jumps out in front, I only had to apply brakes myself a couple of times.

I did not even realize what this did until after I picked up the car, the dealer mentioned it as does the literature - but no-one makes a big deal out of it. When I started using it I was quite simply amazed. It seems that MyFord Touch gets all the attention (both positive and negative :)), but little is being dicussed about this great feature. I know its not unique to ford, but this technology makes driving on cluttered freeways (which I do a lot of) so much better.

So far I really like this vehicle, although 3 days is probably not enough time to discover the gotcha's and hopefully I will not experience some of the horrors that other are having with the touch systems. My vote for the best feature of the vehicle - ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL. Sorry for shouting :)

Hi All, I am now the proud owner of a 2011 Edge Limited AWD and I have to say I am delighted with it so far.

I have read here all of the posts about sync and MyFord Touch system issues and they are a bit scary, however I can say that so far my system is working just fine in all respects. It is certainly slow when using the touch screen, seems that Ford scimped on the CPU horsepower, that said it is still totally cool! Oh I checked and it has SYNC Version Gen2 - V2.4. Both mine and my wifes iphone 4's connect flawlessly and sync runs just fine.

So that said, I really wated to post my impression of something I am suprised few are talking about - Adaptive Cruise Control. Wow! It is totally cool! I drove about 260 miles yesterday, mostly freeway, and city. The cruise control is flawless, just set it to the max speed you want to travel at and then all you have to do is steer. It brakes for you even from 80mph down to 35mph when someone jumps out in front, I only had to apply brakes myself a couple of times.

I did not even realize what this did until after I picked up the car, the dealer mentioned it as does the literature - but no-one makes a big deal out of it. When I started using it I was quite simply amazed. It seems that MyFord Touch gets all the attention (both positive and negative :)), but little is being dicussed about this great feature. I know its not unique to ford, but this technology makes driving on cluttered freeways (which I do a lot of) so much better.

So far I really like this vehicle, although 3 days is probably not enough time to discover the gotcha's and hopefully I will not experience some of the horrors that other are having with the touch systems. My vote for the best feature of the vehicle - ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL. Sorry for shouting :)

That and the HID lamps are the reason because I selected the Limited over the Sport... well, and the cost of insurance, the word "spot" always raise insurance, I pay about $100 less every 6 months for the Edge 2011 than what I pay for my Mazda 3 Sport 2005....

The adaptive is quite impressive, too bad it turn itself off when below about 20mph, it could be the mos amazing tool to fight bad parking lot like jams, you just grab a magazine and let the car advance alone when there is a gap big enough to advance :-)