Bad Driving Tires???

IZZYAZ

So I have around 1200 miles on my Edge SEL+ FWD. I have the 18" crome clad wheels and stock Continetal Cross Contact (or something like that) tires. The tires have been handling just fine since we bought it until the last couple hundered miles. There is one stretch of Interstate that I hit everyday that has groves in it. When going over this stretch of road the Edge shakes back and forth like you are wiggling the wheel. This goes on for 15 miles. It's not real bad, but it just started.

So the road isn't new, about 5-8 years old. I've driven multiple different cars on the same stretch of road, and only my Edge does this. I have checked the tire pressure, thinking that maybe I had a tire going low. They where all good.

Has anybody else had a similar problem? Is it the tires? The road? The suspension? or me (as my wife says)? I am going to have the dealership take a look at it when it comes time to do my first oil change, or sooner depending on what I find here.

Edited by IZZYAZ

We have a few sections of road around here that have little grooves or something in them, or large waves of material - most cars i have driven on these areas make a little extra noise, bounce or have a slight vibration. I often wonder if it is the car and then recall that we are on one of those sections of road again!

So I have around 1200 miles on my Edge SEL+ FWD. I have the 18" crome clad wheels and stock Continetal Cross Contact (or something like that) tires. The tires have been handling just fine since we bought it until the last couple hundered miles. There is one stretch of Interstate that I hit everyday that has groves in it. When going over this stretch of road the Edge shakes back and forth like you are wiggling the wheel. This goes on for 15 miles. It's not real bad, but it just started.

So the road isn't new, about 5-8 years old. I've driven multiple different cars on the same stretch of road, and only my Edge does this. I have checked the tire pressure, thinking that maybe I had a tire going low. They where all good.

Has anybody else had a similar problem? Is it the tires? The road? The suspension? or me (as my wife says)? I am going to have the dealership take a look at it when it comes time to do my first oil change, or sooner depending on what I find here.

It's called tramlining and it's a combination of the road surface and the tires. Some tires are more susceptible than others. You could try raising the tire pressure a few pounds just for grins. If it really bothers you see if the dealer will swap you some Michelin tires - they're usually better than the Continentals but will cost you a bit extra.