Sync v2.7 Problems

joshua_z_99

Hello all! This is my first post. I have been monitoring this forum since September of last year, when I bought my 2011 Ford Edge Limited. I have many of problems that most of you are experiencing. My car has been to the dealer 6 times with issues ranging from the whole SYNC system freezing for differing durations of time to simple things like the album art on my usb stick just showing a black square. This last time at the dealer they replaced the APIM and grabbed the lastest download from Ford (v2.7 - Not sure if its out yet to the public). I have the same issues and do not see an ounce of difference. Being a computer programmer, I have come to the realization that SYNC is a total waste of code and should be scrapped and started from scratch. I do not what to believe that I am the only one experiencing this simple thing of the album art not showing up. I do not think I have seen any other posts talking about this. Whats weird is that my usb stick doesn't show any album art at all (black square); while my ipod shows the album art but pixelated. Does anybody else have any problems with album art?

Joshua

I have a 16 GB USB stick with my MP3's on it. I've had my car since Oct 2010, Sync version 1.8 installed at the factory. I used MP3tag to edit the meta data and album art on all my MP3's (wow that was a chore) and everything initially worked ok, a bit sluggish but nothing I couldn't deal with. What I found was after a month or so my album art would no longer display, I didn't have a chance to do anything with it, but randomly sync rebooted one day. After that the album art displayed fine for a period of time. After another month or so it started doing it again, either the icon for a CD was displayed or 1/2 of the icon was displayed or no art displayed. If you touch where the album art is, it will switch to the detailed view and the album art would display (larger) than the normal display. I figured I never look at the album art anyway, so I just left it. Finally I decided to pull fuse 29 and for a reboot of sync. Now everything is back to normal, but i'm sure it will stop working in a month or so and I may need to "reboot" it again.

Sorry for the long post, but know your not alone, it does sometime disappear and seems to require a reboot to get it to display again. I'm sure they will refine the software etc(I haven't done any updates, waiting for the 1st service visit), but I wish they would add a reboot option for situations when you think it needs a reboot vs pulling the fuse.

M.

mv-clear,

That is exactly what mine used to do. It would display the art only when "touched" and the system went to an mp3 details screen. Now, it doesn't even show the art when I do that. Now I know I am not the only one. I was beginning to wonder if something was wrong with my ipod or usb stick. I would think this is one of the easiest problems Ford currently has to fix. Thanks for the info.

Joshua

My album art works good - I don't use Gracenote by the way because thats total junk. The biggest problem with the system in my opinion (apart from the bugs) is the user interface is just too slow. I hope that Ford upgrade MyFord Touch to Microsoft Auto 7 and replace the terrible Adobe Flash Lite interface with a Silverlight one.

mv-clear,

That is exactly what mine used to do. It would display the art only when "touched" and the system went to an mp3 details screen. Now, it doesn't even show the art when I do that. Now I know I am not the only one. I was beginning to wonder if something was wrong with my ipod or usb stick. I would think this is one of the easiest problems Ford currently has to fix. Thanks for the info.

Joshua

Personally I don't think it's the Ipod or USB stick, I personally think the system seems to run out of memory and slow down to a point where it just needs a fresh start. Pulling the fuse causes it to hard down the system, kinda like pulling plug on a desktop computer, and plugging it back in., I really just think they have some memory leaks, and a graceful reboot would be nice.. i.e. a reboot buttonm instead of killing the plug on sync..

M.

2.7 revision is interesting in that is 4 to 5 revisions higher than what most of us have even with a recent dealer installed update. Apparently it is only available to a select few, likely because it doesn't actually fix anything.

I was told it dealt mainly with the clock/calendar issues.