Factory Roof Rails with Cargo Box

Hey guys, first time poster here.

I recently had my 2011 Edge delivered, and other than having to reset sync every 3-4 weeks to re-pair my iphone, I love it.

Yesterday I picked up the OEM cross bars and installed them on the factory installed roof rails. The gap between them looks to be only about 21" or so, and of course the cargo box I picked up (sportrek ski box) has a minimum gap of 23.625".

Even if I was to drill an extra set of holes, I would have major overhang that would block the liftgate due to the length of the box.

I'm guessing this means I should have invested in a set of aftermarket cross bars, maybe Thule etc, that would allow me to adust the spacing.

I'm just wondering if anyone else here is using a cargo box with the OEM cross bars and can suggest a solution, as I'm failry confident I cannot return them.

Thank you!

The OEM crossbars are pretty much useless......unless you intend on securing a small square cargo box.. Ford did not put forth much effort in the design of rail system .It appears the rails are mounted too far aft on the roof unabling you to install any sort of decent sized carrier.Even the Thule crossroads 450 system grip the factory rails too far back for a lengthy carrier ....hatch cannot be opened ! The only solution is to go with a tower that mounts with a foot pack so carrier can be mounted forward on roof enabling hatch to be opened ! good luck

• 2 months later...

Older thread but I figured I'd follow up for anyone else that was looking for this info. I have the Thule Ascent 1500 and it does fit the factory rack/crossbars. I slide the box back as far as possible an the rear hatch opens fully with about an inch or two to spare. The front antenna just barely touches the box, so you do have to take care when closing that you don't catch the antenna but not a big deal. I haven't loaded it up yet, but I've had it up to about 80mph (empty) without issues. Also its super easy to attach, twist 4 locks and gtg.... took about 5 mins in the parking lot when I bought it. Noise was minimal even at highway speeds on a calm day, but I did notice it more when it was windy out. Haven't had a full highway test yet but it looks like my mileage dropped about 10% (2-3mpg) which is what I expected.

For reference, there are 3 Thule boxes that are cross listed with Ford dealer part numbers. I would assume that the ascent 1700 would interfere with the rear hatch, since the 1500 just barely fits.

Sidekick

VAT4Z-7855100-F

A7FCS-682-AA

Ascent 1500

VAT4Z-7855100-D

A7FCS-603-AA

Ascent 1700

VAT4Z-7855100-E

A7FCS-605-AA

I'll try to attach the full thule crossref pdf which includes racks , crossbars, etc.

Thule_Matrix_11-10.pdf