Ford specific harness

Ok so I have been reading around and a lot of people claim there are issues with adding HIDs to the Edge due to the Ford wiring and the pulsed voltage. Many suggest getting a wiring harness specifically the Retro Solutions version since it is Ford specific. But can anyone tell me what is in this harness? I have a DDM Tuning 55W kit from another vehicle I ccan throw in but I would have to buy the correct bulbs and get the harness but as far as I know their harness is just fused. Am I really getting anything benefitial with the retro solutions? The cost differential is pretty high >$100! Thoughts?

Ok so I have been reading around and a lot of people claim there are issues with adding HIDs to the Edge due to the Ford wiring and the pulsed voltage. Many suggest getting a wiring harness specifically the Retro Solutions version since it is Ford specific. But can anyone tell me what is in this harness? I have a DDM Tuning 55W kit from another vehicle I ccan throw in but I would have to buy the correct bulbs and get the harness but as far as I know their harness is just fused. Am I really getting anything benefitial with the retro solutions? The cost differential is pretty high >$100! Thoughts?

I'm also considering the Retro Solutions Hid kit for my 2012 Edge SEL, but I'm hesitant with my purchase, cause I had a Digital Hid kit 55w 9007 Bixenon installed in my Ford Ranger, and it only lasted 5 months. Is the harness a solution to the Edge specific problems? I'll have to wait and see.

Edited by josegt

Well that is why I am hesitant to go with the full retro kit since I have heard mixed reviews...seems like either people love them or hate them. To be honest that is the case for all HID sellers but when their price is 4x's what I paid for my DDM kit I would be far less tolerant of some hiccups. I know at least one other person here has installed the DDM kit but was hoping someone knew what was so special about the harness on the Retro solutions kit if anything.

Well that is why I am hesitant to go with the full retro kit since I have heard mixed reviews...seems like either people love them or hate them. To be honest that is the case for all HID sellers but when their price is 4x's what I paid for my DDM kit I would be far less tolerant of some hiccups. I know at least one other person here has installed the DDM kit but was hoping someone knew what was so special about the harness on the Retro solutions kit if anything.

I have the Retro-Solutions kit on my 2011 Sport which has been working great for 4 months now. As far as the harness is concerned, rather than drawing power directly through the OEM wiring, the harness connects into the existing headlight circuit which then fires a 12V relay to turn on the ballasts using a fused connection to the battery. The wiring in the harness is fairly heavy gauge so there isn't any issue with over heating, fried connectors, etc.

So nothing really "special" with the harness that you couldn't recreate yourself with a handful of parts and a crimp tool but in my opinion, it's a solution that works well for the price.

I have the Retro-Solutions kit on my 2011 Sport which has been working great for 4 months now. As far as the harness is concerned, rather than drawing power directly through the OEM wiring, the harness connects into the existing headlight circuit which then fires a 12V relay to turn on the ballasts using a fused connection to the battery. The wiring in the harness is fairly heavy gauge so there isn't any issue with over heating, fried connectors, etc.

So nothing really "special" with the harness that you couldn't recreate yourself with a handful of parts and a crimp tool but in my opinion, it's a solution that works well for the price.

Thanks....if it is just a simple relay that looks at the headlights to get power before powering the ballasts then any of the aftermarket harnesses should be fine...I just wasn't sure if they had something magical in there to deal with the pulsed signal.

Thanks....if it is just a simple relay that looks at the headlights to get power before powering the ballasts then any of the aftermarket harnesses should be fine...I just wasn't sure if they had something magical in there to deal with the pulsed signal.

The only additional component in the harness is a capacitor to filter out any pulses in the signal. I believe that most aftermarket kits have that as well since it's a generic problem.