2012 vs. 2013

Aimsley

I'm currently driving a 2002 Escape and have been debating what my next vehicle would be all year. I knew a new Escape was coming, but was trying to decide what my back-up choice would be if I didn't like it's new look. Well, turns out, I don't like the new look, so I knew an Edge was in my future. I planned on waiting until the spring to buy one, but they were offering $2500 in rebates at the end of year, so I figured it couldn't get any better than that, so on 12/10/11 I bit the bullet and ordered myself a 2012 Ford Edge SEL. I was told it would take 8-10 weeks to arrive. Of course, a couple weeks later, I learned the 2013 would start being built in mid-February, about the time I was expecting mine to arrive. Well today, one-month to the day I ordered my Edge, I got a call from my salesman, calling with good news and bad news. I immediately knew the bad news meant that they weren't going to make my new Edge, even though my dealer had placed the order and Ford had accepted it. The good news was that they found me the exact one that I ordered, but it had already transferred to one dealership, so by the time it gets to my dealership it will have about 170 miles on it - no big deal really. I asked about negotiating my original purchase price since the 2013s would be arriving soon, and was told they would stand by their original price, but couldn't budge because they aren't offering $2500 in rebates now, but would make up the difference, plus they'll have additional costs due to getting the car from the other dealership, about 80 miles away.

I'm wondering if this hiccup in my order is providing me with the opportunity to buy a 2013 instead. They ran the numbers for me, and while the MSRP will be $120 more, in the end, the 2013 will cost me $1,620 more because of the lost rebates. Do you think it's worth it just to get the current model? My other problem is, I ordered the Red Candy, which won't be available in 2013. It will be Red Ruby instead. I'm not sure I like the idea of getting a different color, sight unseen.

Of course, now that I've written this all out, I think I've arrived at my decision, but still curious on your thoughts.

I personally would not buy a car whose color I had not seen. There are so many shades of red. The name of the color doesn't really tell you what it looks like. I would not like to pay for and drive around in a car whose color I didn't like. That's a pretty big risk I think. But that's just me.

I am hopefully going to buy a new 2013 Edge Limited. Sight unseen of course, since nobody has seen the 2013. But since the Limited isn't supposed to be changing, and I'm getting Tuxedo Black, I'm pretty assured of what it is going to look like.

I too just ordered a 2012 with the year end rebates "locked in". I was under the assumption that the 2013's were exactly the same as the 2012's (of course no one can know for sure), but after looking at all the screens for the new my ford touch update, I noticed every screen showing climate mentions air conditioned seats. Maybe a new option on the Edge limited? Or maybe that's just a screen shot from the Explorer. It'd be pretty hard to decide whether or not to give up over $1000 in rebates for a/c seats lol.