1-2 shift issue

ThinLine

I have a 2008 Limited with 35,000 miles and I am having an issue with the 1-2 shift. Sometimes, when shifting from first to second, It feels like the trans is "banging" or almost feels as if someone tapped my bumper from behind. It will do it maybe 3 times in one outing and not do it for weeks. I feel that the 1-2 shift was always "lazy" or very slow to shift between 1-2 under light accleration. Is this a known issue ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just had the PCM and TCM reflashed with the updated program from Ford. They said this is a known issue. At first, the computer would not accept the new program. Took it in the next day and it accepted the updates just fine. This is like a totally different car! It downshifts better when going uphill on a long incline.....before, it would just not downshift until your speed dropped like 15 -20 mph from what you want to cruise at. The 1-2 shift is much more crisp and the downshifts are snappier and more responsive. It no longer hesitates when giving gas before it would downshift when slowing for a turn. Thanks for all the replies ! Happy motoring Denny !

• 2 weeks later...

Just had the PCM and TCM reflashed with the updated program from Ford. They said this is a known issue. At first, the computer would not accept the new program. Took it in the next day and it accepted the updates just fine. This is like a totally different car! It downshifts better when going uphill on a long incline.....before, it would just not downshift until your speed dropped like 15 -20 mph from what you want to cruise at. The 1-2 shift is much more crisp and the downshifts are snappier and more responsive. It no longer hesitates when giving gas before it would downshift when slowing for a turn. Thanks for all the replies ! Happy motoring Denny !

Maybe mine needs this update as well. I just bought an '08 Limited AWD with approx 25,000 miles. When the engine/trans is cold the trans seems like it's slipping before shifting. The RPMs will jump up 500-750 from then come back down before the trans finally shifts to the next gear. Once everything is warmed up it seems to be ok.

Maybe mine needs this update as well. I just bought an '08 Limited AWD with approx 25,000 miles. When the engine/trans is cold the trans seems like it's slipping before shifting. The RPMs will jump up 500-750 from then come back down before the trans finally shifts to the next gear. Once everything is warmed up it seems to be ok.

Make sure you check the trans fluid level....which you would assume was done at the place where you bought the car, but you never know. My gas mileage also went up 1.5 mpg due to the snappier 1-2 shift and no more "lugging" feeling going uphill. I fell in love with my car again !