Lift Gate height

ylf

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting an 08 Limited but am concerned that I will not be able to open the lift gate inside my garage. From looking at pictures, my best estimate is that the top of the lift gate when opened is about 8ft. With the door open my garage height is only about 7.5 ft. That means I wouldn't be able to load or unload anything from the Edge with it in the garage and it would only be a matter of time until the lift gate gets opened into the garage door, especially with the power lift option.

Anyone else had this problem, or is the lift gate not as high as I think?

Thanks for any insight.

Mike

I have a standard size garage door opening height which I believe is around 7 foot. When we pull our Edge in the garage the back end is no more than a foot from the edge of the door. The power-lift gate opens perfectly with about 1 1/2" - 2" of clearance between the lift gate and the door above. So as long as we pull "in" the garage completely the lift gate will open no problem. However, if we were ever to pull in only part way into the garage the 'peak' of the lift gate would foul with the 7 foot opening of the garage door. I hope this helps, but you should have no problems with a standard size garage as long as you are careful and don't back out with the lift gate open. Ouch!

thanks for asking this question... this is good info to know as I forgot to take this into consideration.... I have a jacked up 1974 FJ40 in 1 bay of the garage that barely makes it, and never thought about the fact that with the auto open power gate, it could be an issue since with my VW, I can just open to the height I desire (even though it does clear fine). I do recall the dealer telling me & demonstrating that the auto power gate has a feature that will stop it should it butt up against a solid item (like an overhanging item on your rack or the garage door or a ceiling). also, FWIW, I learned a bit back here that you can also disable the power lift gate if you need to and make it manual.. that's good to know.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately mine is an older garage and even shorter than I had thought. I just measured and the lowest point of the door opening is 6'7" and it's 6'11" where the hatch would be opening with the Edge in the garage. Bummer.