How do you like Android Auto/CarPlay?

I don't have the new AA/CP installed yet, but I have been a user of Google Maps for some time and I can tell you it is great. I've used numerous NAV systems over the years and in my experience Google Maps has the best routing - which leads you to the best results (getting to your destination hassle free). I think this goes to the fact that the database for Google Maps is really second to none.

The down side of Google Maps is usually that it is a consumer of data on your mobile device (in most cases). I have noted though that the amount of data it uses is pretty reasonable for how it works.

• 2 weeks later...

I gave AA a shot, and was not impressed. First off, I use a USB thumb drive for music media. My music collection is very large (>100GB) so I do not have music on my phone. When the phone is plugged in for AA, I cannot access music on my thumb drive. Google maps is somewhat better than Ford Nav, but not enough to justify pulling the music source.

I think AA would be more important if I did not have factory Nav and if I used my phone as a media player. I will give it another try, if / when a version of AA comes along that runs over bluetooth.

Edited by tjeeper

I tried AA very briefly last night after finally having success installing the update. I have a 128GB USB stuck almost filled with FLAC files. I was able to launch Google maps, switch to sync, play music, and return to maps while the music kept playing and I could hear the navigation instructions over the music. I need to test this out driving but I'm guessing that you should be able to do both at the same time.

• Like 1

I am a fan of CarPlay, but have been using it less than I did on my last vehicle because the Apple Maps app is so washed out on the Edge screen that I prefer the built-in nav. The ability to access music and text messages via CP is a plus; but I can do that easy enough by plugging in my iPhone and "disabling" CP on the Edge. I wish the Ford implementation allowed you to leave CP operational, but switch back and forth between Apple Maps and the built-in navigation. My '16 Accord did allow this, but on the Edge it's either/or. I do think the sound quality of music played over the USB connection is better than over Bluetooth, which makes sense, given the BT bandwidth limitations. FWIW.

So far so good (AA). I like the voice commands and it's handy that through google maps, all my previous saved area 'stars' appear. The one thing i'm finding is that while driving in Google Maps, it will randomly freeze the map and i'll be miles away from where it thinks I am. I'll then press 'phone' or 'music' and then 'maps' and it will update and work again. I think this is more phone/AA related than SYNC related as it did this a few times in a rental Yukon I had a few months back. anyone else experience reliability issues with AA?

Other than that, system is pretty slick. :clapping: