Push Pin replacement for underbody shield?

haedgy

Has anyone found a good replacement for the push pins that seem to come lose underneath the Edge? I hear fixes like putting a larger push pin in, and using 3m tape to keep the panel from rattling.

I was just wondering if anyone knows the size of the original pin or if there is a way to set up something similar with torx or just regular screws like they use for the lower engine cover?

I would think the push pins would start to loosen again over time and if there was just away to pull the panel insert or use a metal screw instead of a plastic pin the fix might be one that lasts longer or is more of a permanent fix.

Any ideas? I get the rattle now and then it's pretty faint but not consistent it's kind of an odd issue, but hearing others comments I want to track this down or fix it before it's one of those "things" that the dealers can't figure out. I would assume it's probably the cover that's doing it.

Seems like it's the passenger side then again these noises tend to sound like they come from one area but are actually from another.

Perhaps if you could elaborate as to the actual push pin design you're referring to.

Do they look like these (have had good luck with the screw-in types)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01HJPYT64/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490725325&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=push+pin+ford&psc=1

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

Enigma-2 those should be the ones. I have not pulled any out from the shield underneath the vehicle. I have from the wheel wells to install splash guards. Those came out and went back in without issue.

The pins are easily removed. I just was thinking I could either insert a screw anchor and use a torx or metal screw to just tighten the cover. I just figured with all the rattle talk someone may have done this already.

Still first option for me is take it to the dealer but I guess I will have to wait until it's more consistent. You know how it goes take it in no one hears anything.

Thanks for that link too BTW I may order some just so I have them on hand. Guess my last option pull it out and figure it out myself. If I do i will post it.

• Like 1

Actually got under the car yesterday when I got home everything is tight so wondering if it could be the lower plastic molding on the door. I notice the one on the back door is a little bit loose not a lot but enough that at 60MPH plus I could see it could wiggle enough to make a little noise.

Also now that I really got a look at it the lower panels have the light weight bolt on them so they are actually not pins. The pins you showed me are in the wheel well in the front. Maybe I will check those too.

We had a windy day yesterday and I could hear it a little more so think this could turn into one of those issues, people get irritated with. more than likely i will continue to bring it to the dealer until they can figure it out granted I get the time to. otherwise if I can just track it down and solve it that would be even better.

• 2 weeks later...

I posted else where in the forum but I found out what was causing the rattle issue.

The large felt/fiber panel that covers the underside of the car below the cab, was missing a pin and one was lose/broken. I was able to push the lose one in for now and will have to bring it in so the dealer can replace the pins.

I did the best I could doing a temporary fix and can say I don't hear that noise anymore. The pins in this panel are large gray pins that hold the cover off the body, so they are not the smaller black pins you'll find in the fenders. I thought maybe the culprit was the plastic panels as described in other posts but these were fine and not lose at all. When I started poking around underneath that's when I notice the lose pin was not in straight and just kind of hanging there and the other completely gone.

I didn't see that anything hit the bottom of the car so it was probably lose to begin with and then over time fell out. who knows but at least I tracked the problem down.