Power lifegate doesn't always close

SaraMocke

The service dept at my dealership told me that for the '12's, the program for the rear liftgate is being rerwritten, to correct the problem. If your Edge/MKX is a '11 or older, then it's replacing the rear gasket.

An forthcoming software revision for the 2012 Edge power lift gate routine has been confirmed by Ford personnel on the Ford Edge Facebook page. Personally, I wouldn't have a dealership mess with the latch's location further before having the permanent solution installed.

This begs the question: Why don't the dealerships know about these upcoming updates?

UPdate: Yesterday, still no problems with rear gate? I tried it several times, and works great. My fingers are crossed for now. I am getting used to My Ford Touch now, and only complaint is the computer sometimes responds slowly. I will let you guys know if I get any more word from Ford or if it starts screwing up again. Have a great weekend!!

As this is a new vehicle under warranty, I recommend getting video documentation of this problem. In the video, remember to keep a nice pleasant tone, say your name, the date, time, and a description of the problem as it occurs on the video. Frankly, ANY problem with your new vehicle should be documented this way, as it can help the repair facility to see the problem should they be unable to reproduce it. You never know if you'll need the proof. I was naive and let the dealer and Ford put me off for over a year. Unfortunately for Ford, I had proof from multiple repair records and I was able to capture video on my phone of recurring MFT problems.

Ford gets four shots to fix a warranty item in my State before a good attorney will clean up. It's just business, cover your butt because Ford will cover theirs.

EDIT: for grammer

Edited by netizenX

As this is a new vehicle under warranty, I recommend getting video documentation of this problem. In the video, remember to keep a nice pleasant tone, say your name, the date, time, and a description of the problem as it occurs on the video. Frankly, ANY problem with your new vehicle should be documented this way, as it can help the repair facility to see the problem should they be unable to reproduce it. You never know if you'll need the proof. I was naive and let the dealer and Ford put me off for over a year. Unfortunately for Ford, I had proof from multiple repair records and I was able to capture video on my phone of recurring MFT problems.

Ford gets four shots to fix a warranty item in my State before a good attorney will clean up. It's just business, cover your butt because Ford will cover theirs.

EDIT: for grammer

Way ahead of you. Thanks to my IPhone I have been taking video to back me up. Good advice!!

Contacted my dealer's service department about the power liftgate issue on my 2012 Edge. He asked if I wanted to make an appointment to bring it in, but I dont want to waste my time if there isnt a real fix available yet. I told him about the info from this forum thread and the posting on Ford's Facebook page for the Edge confirming the problem.

He said he will run my VIN within the next day or so to see if there are any TSBs about the issue and give me a call.

Contacted my dealer's service department about the power liftgate issue on my 2012 Edge. He asked if I wanted to make an appointment to bring it in, but I dont want to waste my time if there isnt a real fix available yet. I told him about the info from this forum thread and the posting on Ford's Facebook page for the Edge confirming the problem.

He said he will run my VIN within the next day or so to see if there are any TSBs about the issue and give me a call.

UPDATE: Dealer called me back this morning. He looked up my VIN and it shows no TSBs/Recalls/etc. He hasnt heard of any other 2012 Edges having this issue.

Tell your dealer that they are full of it, there are a number of us with this problem, as 'The outrage" posted, there is a software revision in the works, my dealer knew of this a few weeks ago. Don't let them bullshit you, let them do a little investigation, better yet, print out these posts from all of us, and show it to them. They can call my dealership, Maplecrest Ford/Lincoln, locaated in Union, NJ, their phone @ is 908-964-7700, option # 2 for service.

LOL

Joe

Edited by JOEHIO

Tell your dealer that they are full of it, there are a number of us with this problem, as 'The outrage" posted, there is a software revision in the works, my dealer knew of this a few weeks ago. Don't let them bullshit you, let them do a little investigation, better yet, print out these posts from all of us, and show it to them. They can call my dealership, Maplecrest Ford/Lincoln, locaated in Union, NJ, their phone @ is 908-964-7700, option # 2 for service.

LOL

Joe

Thanks for the dealership info. I just shot an email to my dealer asking them to call your dealer. Any particular person there they should ask to speak with?

LOL

Joe

Update: My dealer called me this morning. He told me he called Maplecrest Ford/Lincoln and they haven't heard of the problem either.

On Ford's Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/fordedge/posts/10150469345485264), a Ford rep posted this earlier this month:

Natasha At Ford ‎@Kyle – Thank you for clarifying! Ford engineers are currently working on an updated program to resolve the issues with the lift gate. Keep in contact with your dealership as they will notify you once this is released. You are always welcome to reach me by private message should you have further questions.

Jamie

Ford Customer Service Division

January 10 at 12:41pm

Can somebody with a FB account PM her to see if there is any new info?

Glad that you got the info from John, "he's good people. I'm waiting for them to get the softwae update for the rear gate. John also said when the main sync update comes in, to bring in the "X", and they will do it to make sure everything updates as it's supposed to. Maplecrest is without a doubt, a GREAT dealership.

Joe

Edited by JOEHIO

I just spoke to John T and got the info, then called my dealer and asked him to get in touch with John.

Thanks Joe

My dealer left me a voicemail that he was able to get in touch with John T and got info on the liftgate issue. Dealer will call me in the morning to tell me what he found out.

Joe, Glad to hear you've got a competent dealer working on your behalf. This thread clearly shows the difference between dealer's service departments who are great or like what fastman is dealing with: either stupid or inept.

I also think Ford doesnt communicate with their dealers very well either. Since Ford knows there is an issue with the liftgate on 2012 Edges, when a dealer does a VIN lookup on one, it should something like "NOTE: There is a known issue with the liftgate.....etc"

You're absolutely correct, and it's NOT JUST Ford ! My cousin took mhis Lexus ES in for servicing the other day, and they told him that they also took care of recall blah-blah-blah,

that was from a while ago, and they never notified him of it. Now, when there is a recall, every effort should be made to contact the owners, don't ya thinks ?

Just an update. Still working great. Replacing lift system and adjusting the latch did the trick. We are averaging 22mpg city with ecoboost and up to 29 highway. It's really a nice alternative to the v6. I really am enjoying the car despite waiting for MFT update

Edited by Superdave

• 1 month later...

Saw the servive tech last Saturday, said that he was still waiting to hear from Ford on a program rewrite, and he would check with them on Monday (yesterday), and get back to me. I'll heck with them in a day or 2, been tough around here, my wife's sister passed away after a courageous battle with cancer, funeral was today, and right now, not in the mood to check on this. Will post update when I get a answer.

Joe

Saw the servive tech last Saturday, said that he was still waiting to hear from Ford on a program rewrite, and he would check with them on Monday (yesterday), and get back to me. I'll heck with them in a day or 2, been tough around here, my wife's sister passed away after a courageous battle with cancer, funeral was today, and right now, not in the mood to check on this. Will post update when I get a answer.

Joe

Joe, I am very, very sorry to hear about your loss!! You've got lots of friends on this forum if you want to talk. God Speed my friend.