New key type

cool find. I use to love the flip key on my VW, just because it was neater. yeah, if you have 2 keys, you can program as many other keys as you want. I bought a spare key & FOB off ebay when I first bought my car so I would always have 2 - dealer cut the key for free in about 2 minutes. Now I see this and kinda want to get on.

Only bummer about them to consider is that there is a good bit more "stuff" sticking out of the key hole as the device itself is longer.

anyway, I think it takes nothing special to cut this key or a Ford key - pretty generic. the thing about the stock Ford one is that the FOB fits over the key so you can take the key out and have it cut by any locksmith or key shop & snap the FOB back on. But on these flip keys, I am not sure if it can fit in just any key cutter or if they can remove the flip key portion, cut it, and attach it back. I suspect the key portion, since it is spring loaded, cannot be removed and thus, it might take a special cutter to be able to fit that blocky FOB?

saw this on ebay. says you can program at home. can a regular locksmith cut a ford key or would that be a deal thing?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-08-09-FO...alenotsupported

I have that key for my 2010 Fusion Hybrid. Works nice. Seller is very responsive. My dealer cut and programmed for free. Said it was easy. Check the fusion site for added info!

Edited by PJFW8

one guy said "Getting it cut was a little bit of a chore, but you just need to find a local hardware store that doesn't have the new digital key cutter. "

another guy said "and he didn't think that the key would fit properly in his machine." and " Their machine was not able to hold the flip key properly. "

both of these concur with my supposition about fitting it in the key machine. One guy did say "what we did was remove the blade from the "electronics" body." - so that does seem to be possible despite my thought.

another great read - point is, it is doable, but getting it cut might require some hoop jumping.

Edited by Lex Talionis

there seems to be something between the lock and unlock buttons.. does that light up or something?

No, it does not. It helps to distinguish the buttons. I really like the key. Great value. (And Lex...Re: AC vents, the trim on the '09 outer vents matches the vent. They also have a positive shut-off for the center vents. My wife hated that she could not shut the vents on the '08. I bought the '09 part and swapped them. Easy job and cheaper than a new car. ~$120.)

No, it does not. It helps to distinguish the buttons. I really like the key. Great value.

thanks for that

/ HIJACK

(And Lex...Re: AC vents, the trim on the '09 outer vents matches the vent. They also have a positive shut-off for the center vents. My wife hated that she could not shut the vents on the '08. I bought the '09 part and swapped them. Easy job and cheaper than a new car. ~$120.)

did not not know that. did you do a write up on that mod?

HIJACK/

I emailed the seller about it having a keyring holder (not seen in photo) but it does. I might go for it.

I noticed the 2 holes in the bottom.. I assumes that was for a key ring. other photos on the web conform that.

No, it does not. It helps to distinguish the buttons. I really like the key. Great value.

let me ask... how does it "feel"? cheap, solid? Also, any thoughts on if the white 'paint' will wear off from use on the buttons? I have seen things like this, from Asia, be very cheaply produced and wonder your thoughts?

I noticed the 2 holes in the bottom.. I assumes that was for a key ring. other photos on the web conform that.

That is for a key ring. Easy to access if remove the battery door screw.

let me ask... how does it "feel"? cheap, solid? Also, any thoughts on if the white 'paint' will wear off from use on the buttons? I have seen things like this, from Asia, be very cheaply produced and wonder your thoughts?

3 months old and the paint is ok. Wouldn't be surprised if it wore off in a year or so. As far as build quality, I'd give it a B. Factoring in the $49 price it is a great value. Even a better value after the straight key put a hole in my favorite Levi 505's! It is smaller and lighter than Porsche key. Less clunky than the VW/Audi flip key. I would buy it again. The seller is also very responsive! As to the other question, the holes are for a small key ring. It is accessed by removing the battery door. Easy to do!

Edited by PJFW8

• 2 weeks later...

I just got mine today. Exactly 8 business days from the date Welly shipped it. I agree with some previous comments. Build quality is probably a B. I can see the spring mechanism wearing out but it should last a year or so. And that divider does light up green with every button press.

Now I just have to get it cut. My Ford dealer made me make a Service dept. appointment. So we'll have to wait and see.

Ok here's my first roadblock. I took the key to my local dealer and there are two issues...A) the blade is too long and B ) its too thin. Anyone else have similar issues? I emailed Welly about this and am waiting for a reply.

It is thinner and longer, but my dealer had no problem. Some have had to remove the key blank. You will find that welly is very helpfull.

Ok here's my first roadblock. I took the key to my local dealer and there are two issues...A) the blade is too long and B ) its too thin. Anyone else have similar issues? I emailed Welly about this and am waiting for a reply.

there is a link I posted earlier that tells of this issue and how a few people got around it.. might want to review it.

I got mine, but yet to get it cut. I plan to print out some tips, remove the key from the unit, and just take that and my tips sheet.

Mine does not light (I have 2...no light). Not a big deal, but I may ask the seller. I am also looking forward to your usual complete evaluation!

already got some tips printed up for the cutter "in case", removed the key from the housing, and plan to try to get it cut this week. I will report back for sure.

that sucks about the light on yours, kind of a neat little feature to have it give the green light.

there is a link I posted earlier that tells of this issue and how a few people got around it.. might want to review it.

I got mine, but yet to get it cut. I plan to print out some tips, remove the key from the unit, and just take that and my tips sheet.

Awesome! Thanks Lex! I'm trying to find a locksmith that will do it. My dealer's parts dept. said they tried but they couldn't do it. Probably just didn't want to deal with it.

I'd love to see your points sheet, if you're going to do it.