wheel bearings

dave-m

We recently started experiencing a noise on our Edge (2007 SEL AWD with 20K miles) similar to what a mud tire on a 4x4 sounds like coming from the rear. We took it in to the dealer and by the parts list it looks like they replaced the hub and wheel bearing. It was covered under warranty, no issues there. I've never seen a wheel bearing fail that soon on any vehicle I've ever had. A sign of the times? cheaper quality bearings or just a random failure?

We recently started experiencing a noise on our Edge (2007 SEL AWD with 20K miles) similar to what a mud tire on a 4x4 sounds like coming from the rear. We took it in to the dealer and by the parts list it looks like they replaced the hub and wheel bearing. It was covered under warranty, no issues there. I've never seen a wheel bearing fail that soon on any vehicle I've ever had. A sign of the times? cheaper quality bearings or just a random failure?

Hi dave-m. :D Random failure. The luck of the draw, etc etc. Probably the 100 Edges that came off the line before yours did not have a wheel bearing failure. And the 100 that came off the line after yours did not have wheel bearing failure.

These things happen.

Best of luck in the future. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

• 3 weeks later...

Same vehicle, almost the same mileage and I am having the left front wheel bearing replaced. I was told this is no longer something the home mechanic can do, as the bearings are pressed on and Ford just replaces the entire bearing and hub assembly. Unfortunately my dealer has a new service manager who delayed the process by a day waiting for a mechanic to verify that the problem was a wheel bearing, kept the car over the weekend, now have ordered the wheel bearing and hub assy and might have my car back to me by Wednesday. Which would be great if I were not 1200 miles away on business. Moral of the story: Parts will fail on any vehicle (although this is really early for wheel bearings to go in my personal experience), but a good service department will make the experience relatively painless. OTOH.....

• 4 weeks later...

Just confirmed right rear wheel bearing failure on my 2008 SEL AWD Edge...should be covered by warranty. mileage is 19.8K. I agree that 20K is WAY too early for bearing failure. Anybody else?

Royce Engler

Houston, TX

Had a terrible sound this morning. Pulled out of the garage, drove about a 1/10th of a mile, stopped at the stop sign, turned right onto the main road. . . .then all of a sudden. . . .grind, grind, grind noise from the right rear, pulled over to the shoulder placed in park, thought I had caught something under the vehicle. . .nope. . .proceeded another 1/10th of a mile, still making the noise. Stopped and put on the parking brake. Got out looked again this time much closer feeling around the tire and wheel well. . .nothing. Hopped back in drove back home, the noise was getting weaker. Backed in the garage and then got completely underneath the vehicle looking at the drive train and wheels. . .nothing. Hopped back in and started driving up the street, no noise, nothing. I have just over 3K miles on the vehicle. Do you think it may have been a caliper sticking? Sure sounded alot like pads rubbing on the caliper. Your thoughts? Thanks for reading.

• 8 months later...

I am having similar problems in Nova Scotia Canada, first time I took it to Fairley and Stevens they tightened the wheel bearings, a procedure not recommended for this type of bearing. This time they blame it on tire noise, tire noise and bearing noise are distinctly different. This dealer will do anything rather than replace a part under warranty, last time I buy a vehicle there.