Door Molding Options

I have a new Creme Brulee Edge. Was disappointed that Ford did not have an option for Door moldings as my garage is tight with 2 cars and we always seem to get door dings.

My dealer said that these are not a Ford accessory. Does anyone know if that is true and if so, is there a aftermarket alternative that will match color 100%?

Not door edge guards, want moldings that go along the mid-height of the door. Thanks!

I have a new Creme Brulee Edge. Was disappointed that Ford did not have an option for Door moldings as my garage is tight with 2 cars and we always seem to get door dings.

My dealer said that these are not a Ford accessory. Does anyone know if that is true and if so, is there a aftermarket alternative that will match color 100%?

Not door edge guards, want moldings that go along the mid-height of the door. Thanks!

I have been looking and haven't found a ford version. I have found someone who sells them on ebay, but I haven't decided yet if I want to buy from him. Also, I don't have my edge yet and I want to see how worried I am before I spend the money. Let me know if you find something else, because I can see that being a problem.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-EDGE-B...bayphotohosting

Just had DOOR MOLDINGS/GUARDS installed on my MKX which was built on May 30, 2007, and delivered on June 12, 2007. They are about 2" wide and run the length of all four doors. Looks much better than just a naked, unprotected door surface.

Purchased from a company called Sportwing located in Cleveland, Ohio. Since I live in Cleveland, they have a local install shop and I had them installed in 15 minutes - exact measuring for placement took 95% of the time of install since guards were already pre-cut and painted.

Color is a 100% match, which is Dune Pearl. No drilling, since they use 3M automotive tape and the fit is PERFECT!

If I get a chance, will take some pics and post later this week. Oh, Sportwing also sells on Ebay, but I would deal with them personally at 1-800-899-1516. And NO, I am NOT associated with Sportwing.

Visit them at Sportwing.com. Great customer service.

Just had DOOR MOLDINGS/GUARDS installed on my MKX which was built on May 30, 2007, and delivered on June 12, 2007. They are about 2" wide and run the length of all four doors. Looks much better than just a naked, unprotected door surface.

Purchased from a company called Sportwing located in Cleveland, Ohio. Since I live in Cleveland, they have a local install shop and I had them installed in 15 minutes - exact measuring for placement took 95% of the time of install since guards were already pre-cut and painted.

Color is a 100% match, which is Dune Pearl. No drilling, since they use 3M automotive tape and the fit is PERFECT!

If I get a chance, will take some pics and post later this week. Oh, Sportwing also sells on Ebay, but I would deal with them personally at 1-800-899-1516. And NO, I am NOT associated with Sportwing.

Just looked at their site. No comfortable buying from them as they do not list manafacturer or color specifics. Perhaps you were more comfortable because you lived in their area.

Just looked at their site. No comfortable buying from them as they do not list manafacturer or color specifics. Perhaps you were more comfortable because you lived in their area.

I suggest you give them a call and get the specifics. I have used their door guards on five other vehciles (four Explorers and a Licoln Aviator)and the color match, as well as the fit/cut, was PERFECT every time.

The call is toll free!

Regards

I suggest you give them a call and get the specifics. I have used their door guards on five other vehciles (four Explorers and a Licoln Aviator)and the color match, as well as the fit/cut, was PERFECT every time.

The call is toll free!

Regards

Will do! Thanks!

Pictures would be great!! I ran across their website today before I read your post. I am thinking of ordering for my MKX and installing myself. I have the vivid red metallic color but what I am finding out it is the same color as the redfire Edge since they both have the same color code. It appears lincoln just used a different name.

Pictures would be great!! I ran across their website today before I read your post. I am thinking of ordering for my MKX and installing myself. I have the vivid red metallic color but what I am finding out it is the same color as the redfire Edge since they both have the same color code. It appears lincoln just used a different name.

Will get some pics up later this week.

When you order, the tech asks for the Lincoln Color Code, so that the paint on the guard is an exact match.

Again, NO connection with Sportwing, its just that I have purchased form them in the past and they have always been PERFECT with color match and sizing.

In fact, if you go to their web site, you can read their gurantee and also see pics of an Edge with the door guards already installed.

My next purchase, form Sportwing, will be color matched wheel well guards that actually extend INTO the wheel well and fully protect the wheel well metal - not just the surface. Wish the MKX had FACTORY cladding, like the Explorer.

Regards!

Edited by anr

We went for the door edge moldings, rathat than the mid-height strip. Didnt get a color match, so we got a good contrast that fits in with the black on the rest of the trim items!

So, you protected other cars by adding edge guards, but what I am concerned with was protecting my car from others. Have ordered the moldings from Sportwing. Will let you all know how they look.

While I'm sure that these offer some protection, they are only good if the door of the offending vehicle actually hits them... that seems to take a bit of luck. On my 6yo F-250, I have the factory door moldings, and they don't have a scratch or mark on them... but under and over them my, body work has a few dings.

In fact, look at the rear doors on our Edge's... there's a good chance that the rear of the back door that sticks out the most would miss the molding installed on another Edge (as shown on the sportwing site) and put a good ding in it.

Bryce

For your edification, I have posted in the pics gallery, some high resolution captures of my MKX with the Door Guards installed.

I did watch the tech install the guards - took a great deal of time in measuring and marking with a grease pencil. Critical was wiping down the paint with Prep-Sol 70, a 3M product. The Prep-Sol removes all traces of grease, wax, dirt and other nasty grime.

Hope this helps.

Regards

For your edification, I have posted in the pics gallery, some high resolution captures of my MKX with the Door Guards installed.

I did watch the tech install the guards - took a great deal of time in measuring and marking with a grease pencil. Critical was wiping down the paint with Prep-Sol 70, a 3M product. The Prep-Sol removes all traces of grease, wax, dirt and other nasty grime.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Thanks for the pics! I feel better now...

P.S. - Sharp looking MKX!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I installed my sportwing door mouldings today. The instructions were precise and easy to follow, and the whole thing took less than an hour. I got the ones with the chrome trim because I thought they would compliment the chrome clad wheels, and indeed they do.

Click either of these thumbnails for a larger view:

edge1cl2.th.jpg

edge2sg8.th.jpg

Well, I installed my sportwing door mouldings today. The instructions were precise and easy to follow, and the whole thing took less than an hour. I got the ones with the chrome trim because I thought they would compliment the chrome clad wheels, and indeed they do.

Click either of these thumbnails for a larger view:

edge1cl2.th.jpg

edge2sg8.th.jpg

The moldings look great on your Edge! I'm now thinking about black ones for my (black) Edge. Are they difficult at all to put on?

The moldings look great on your Edge! I'm now thinking about black ones for my (black) Edge. Are they difficult at all to put on?

No, they are very easy. The hardest part is making sure the masking tape reference line is straight, but even that is easy if you have a helper. The only require items are a roll of masking tape and a tape measure. I used 1/2" wide green auto body masking tape from Auto Zone. You might also need a razor if you don't have good finger nails, as its hard to remove the backing from the adhesive on the mouldings.

Also, make sure once they are on there that you use something like a towel to rub from one end of the moulding to the other with firm pressure. This will assure a good bond. You can just barely see the tape between the moulding and the door from directly above, so make sure it is making 100% contact with the door, and has no gaps.

I just ordered and received the same chrome-insert moldings for my Edge. The color match was spot-on perfect, and the quality is as good as if they were Ford Factory accessories. Sportwing sells them on eBay.

I'll get some pictures up after I install them.

Edited by jpark

• 2 weeks later...
I just ordered and received the same chrome-insert moldings for my Edge. The color match was spot-on perfect, and the quality is as good as if they were Ford Factory accessories. Sportwing sells them on eBay.

I'll get some pictures up after I install them.

I started this thread so to wrap up...Bought the Creme Brulee colored mouldings (non-crome insert). Simple easy install and they match 100% and look great. I now have piece of mind when parked 2 cars in my garage. I did not go with the chrome insert version and am really glad I did not. The mouldings blend in much better.

Thanks to ANR and others for the advice. Now it's on to lift-gate sill protection and Cargo area matt (bought the front and rear mats from weathertech. Won't even open the box until November)! :yahoo:

Hey MHOsborn....

I'm also thinking about a set for my black Edge. Please let us know how they look after install with photos if possible. I'm also curious if there is a recommended height/location from the ground up from Sportwing?

Edited by snoshuu

Hey MHOsborn....

I'm also thinking about a set for my black Edge. Please let us know how they look after install with photos if possible. I'm also curious if there is a recommended height/location from the ground up from Sportwing?

I'll post pictures if/when I put them on...but, as yet, haven't ordered them. So far, no door dings!

Hey MHOsborn....

Yes, the instructions tell you where to measure from and what distance they should be above the rocker panel.