New exhaust system for my SEL+ AWD

Had the entire exhaust system, starting before the first flange, replaced today. Used 2-1/2" aluminized pipe, mandrel bent, with no front muffler and 2 Magnaflow #11226 mufflers at the rear. It sounds quite nice, audible but not too loud, but it does drone a bit in 6th gear at 1300-1600RPM, and I may have that fixed.

Have posted lots of pics at http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k220/jef...haust%20system/ ; start with the last and go backwards.

Here's the most-visible part.

16Augrear_800w.jpg

I wonder if a kit would be cheaper/easier to install? Gibson has their kit available now & Magnaflow is due out in the next few days.
Probably both, but I didn't want to keep all that crimped original pipe.

My complete system cost about the same as the Gibson stainless-steel system, something less than $700, and I finished with what I believe is a significantly higher-flow system, FWIW. Of course, the problem with these kinds of big changes is one doesn't quite know what one will end up with. Also of course, one doesn't know what the Gibson or Magnaflow system will sound like until AFTER one spends maybe $800 buying and installing it.

05New1frontstubandflexjoint_1000w.jpg

BTW, the Porsche Cayenne Turbo exhaust-system modification* is the only one of many over the decades that was highly succesful the FIRST time. Several others had to be changed after the first system replacement, so this one doesn't surprise me a bit.

* I simply removed the muffler and replaced it with 2-1/2" pipes feeding the stock tips.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/90671822hc...leActions/Album

Looks like you had some good guys working on that exhaust. Over all it looks like it turned out well.

Not too much showing below when looking from behind.

Any chance you can upload a sound clip?

I haven't crawled under my edge to look at the exhaust in detail yet, but where is the catalytic converter?

Good guys indeed. Mighty Muf'ler in Phoenix has been serving car enthusiasts for about 40 years, and they do nice work (and they're only 5 minutes from my house).

The cats are bolted to the exhaust manifolds and have large outlet flanges; MM's owner Greg says they appear to be quite hi-flow. The kinks and obstructions start with the flange of the collector pipe bolted to the cats; that's why Greg cut it off.

The sound is quite attractive--NOT sharp as from FlowMasters but also not unattractively V6-ish either*. Maybe I can get my son to help with a sound clip; I'll try.

* I now wonder if the V6 sound I don't like is the result of dual exhausts on them.

Good guys indeed. Mighty Muf'ler in Phoenix has been serving car enthusiasts for about 40 years, and they do nice work (and they're only 5 minutes from my house).

The cats are bolted to the exhaust manifolds and have large outlet flanges; MM's owner Greg says they appear to be quite hi-flow. The kinks and obstructions start with the flange of the collector pipe bolted to the cats; that's why Greg cut it off.

The sound is quite attractive--NOT sharp as from FlowMasters but also not unattractively V6-ish either*. Maybe I can get my son to help with a sound clip; I'll try.

* I now wonder if the V6 sound I don't like is the result of dual exhausts on them.

HI:

May I know which brand and size for ur tire?Do u mind send me a message let me know?Cuz my original tire looks like stupid.

THanks!

Well, it does take time to evaluate the results of these modifications, and with a few more days, I decided my Edge still droned a bit too much, so I had Mighty replace that cute little Magnaflow...

23Augnewmuffler_700w.jpg

...with a larger one.

Muffler41_700w.jpg

The level of the drone is down about another 10dB which means it isn't audible at all. NOW I'm finished!

This reinforces my earlier statement that if I had to do it all over again, I'd start with just the front muffler and NO rear mufflers...

...and I might experiment with that in a few months. :yup:

• 2 weeks later...
No, but I never do when I do these kinds of things. I think the vast majority of people who claim to perceive an increase in power are responding to the higher exhaust-noise level.

An honest man....

I like the way you worked through the droning problem. It looks like first class work...

Well, it does take time to evaluate the results of these modifications, and with a few more days, I decided my Edge still droned a bit too much, so I had Mighty replace that cute little Magnaflow...

23Augnewmuffler_700w.jpg

...with a larger one.

Muffler41_700w.jpg

The level of the drone is down about another 10dB which means it isn't audible at all. NOW I'm finished!

This reinforces my earlier statement that if I had to do it all over again, I'd start with just the front muffler and NO rear mufflers...

...and I might experiment with that in a few months. :yup:

Just exactally what is the model number of that muffler you installed last?

P-nix Guy Jeff: Are they still putting MTBE in gas there? I lived in Chandler for a couple years, about 10 years ago, and that MTBE really did a number on the injectors in a Ford Truck I had. Just wondering. Item 2 I just finished looking over the exhaust system work and it looks smooooth. I'm liking the match paint front and back work you had done. That is one fine ride. Thank You for the peek. :shades:

Edited by ELVIS

P-nix Guy Jeff: Are they still putting MTBE in gas there? No; it's now oxygenated with ethanol in the nonsummer.

Item 2 I just finished looking over the exhaust system work and it looks smooooth. TYVM; it sounds VERY good with NO droning, but it's a little too quiet.

I'm liking the match paint front and back work you had done. That is one fine ride. TYVM. As I've written elsewhere, I'm considering having the grille and the foglite surrounds painted body color; they're a bit garish for me.

Thank You for the peek. :shades:

Edited by jeffreybehr

bamaredwingsfan, that MagnaFlow muffler # is 12256. Took a while to find it.

NYEdge, I'm still looking for a digital videocam to borrow.

Just to be sure, does this sound like the specs on the muffler

Inlet: 2.5” Offset

Outlet: 2.5" Center

Body Type: 5" X 8" Oval

Body Length: 18”

Overall Length: 24”

Material: Satin Finished Stainless Steel

Model: Universal Muffler

Manufacturer: MagnaFlow

Part #: 12256