Shocks with H&R Springs?

So i have been doing some research on these H&R Springs for the Edge. I know there are other companies out there but everyone on this forum seems to rep the H&R and I trust a lot of these users so I will most likely be going with the H&R as well. My question is, do you guys feel that upgrading the shocks should be a must or are you just installing the springs and leaving the OEM stock shocks on the vehicle? I feel that upgrading the shocks is a necessity but felt I would ask. Just seems right to replace shocks to aftermarket if the springs are aftermarket? Let me know!

But are the shocks on the 3.7 different than the 3.5? I know the springs are different but wasn't sure about the shocks. Personally though I wouldn't worry about it too much, you aren't going to turn the Edge into an race car, so worst case you may wear them out faster. Then at that point you can look for upgrades but from what I have seen there really isn't much of an aftermarket for the Edge.

• Like 1

I've got the stock shocks, and it's just fine.

Good to know! Now having said that Dingo, your vehicle is a 2011 I believe if I am correct but my Edge is an 07.. Even if they were say, okay and not worn out, would it be okay if I did replace them and if I did would it help the ride further? If so, do you know what size I'd need and recommendation for a good brand?

Good to know! Now having said that Dingo, your vehicle is a 2011 I believe if I am correct but my Edge is an 07.. Even if they were say, okay and not worn out, would it be okay if I did replace them and if I did would it help the ride further? If so, do you know what size I'd need and recommendation for a good brand?

I'd replace them while doing the springs.

The higher spring rates of the aftermarket springs would be better matched with shocks with increased dampening control. The stock shocks are matched for use with the stock springs. Higher spring rates require higher rebound dampening. Without a matching shock you can end up with worse body control motion after a wheel impact. This can lead to a "bouncing" motion.

With that said, it's matter of what the driver considers acceptable suspension performance. If the decreased dampening control is less of a concern than the higher spring rates (less pitch and roll) or the lowering of the vehicle's center of gravity, then those trade offs are acceptable. Under ideal circumstances the springs and shocks would be matched. Unfortunately, the Edge does not have a large selection of aftermarket suspension parts.

Seems like if it was neccessary, the suspension parts manufacturers would include the shocks with the kit. A basic kit is just springs, more expensive kits have them. so, I guess, it's just a matter of preference or whether or not you have the cash. When in doubt, ask the manufacturer. They should know. However, they might just tell you it would be a good idea just to get your money. :nonono: You could just do the springs and see how it rides. If you don't like it, get the shocks.

I'm getting ready myself to put springs on my 2013 SEL in a couple weeks or so. I'll post my results.

Good luck.

Edited by Fkit

Seems like if it was neccessary, the suspension parts manufacturers would include the shocks with the kit. A basic kit is just springs, more expensive kits have them. so, I guess, it's just a matter of preference or whether or not you have the cash. When in doubt, ask the manufacturer. They should know. However, they might just tell you it would be a good idea just to get your money. :nonono: You could just do the springs and see how it rides. If you don't like it, get the shocks.

I'm getting ready myself to put springs on my 2013 SEL in a couple weeks or so. I'll post my results.

Good luck.

Money isn't the issue but from what I have seen NO companies offer shocks with the springs.. H&R or Tien are the two that I have researched and haven't found any other companies out there that carry them. For that matter, I haven't even found any companies that state they have a shock that will fit the Edge 07-10 and 11-12 seeing as the applications for the vehicle in the after market department are limited.. If you know of any companies let me know.. The shocks are probably fine but I look at it as, if I am changing the springs why not just do the shocks as well and make both A and B new!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I would be interested to know if the Sport springs offer any drop and what their rates are compared to Limited and below. Might be another option for those looking to minimize roll and the rates probably won't be too much higher that you'll blow out the shocks much quicker than going aftermarket.

Wlepse: Good idea, but honestly in my previous experiences with the "SPORT"... Anything that goes onto an Edge with the word "SPORT" has a $1,000.00 minimum and a mark up of about $999.00.. One reason why I would never buy a sport... I could buy a limited and buy all the sport shit aftermarket and put it on and it would still be $32,000.00 Cheaper! LOL

Still haven't been able to find a company who makes the Edge Shocks in aftermarket... I won't put springs on this vehicle and lower it, if I can't find shocks! Pointless in my mind.

KYB makes shocks for the Edge. Ive owned several Mustangs that I always slam & always have gone w KYB cuz the never blow & r affordable...

Wlepse: Good idea, but honestly in my previous experiences with the "SPORT"... Anything that goes onto an Edge with the word "SPORT" has a $1,000.00 minimum and a mark up of about $999.00.. One reason why I would never buy a sport... I could buy a limited and buy all the sport shit aftermarket and put it on and it would still be $32,000.00 Cheaper! LOL

Wasn't so much thinking of buying them from Ford...figured someone here with a Sport that upgraded might want to sell them cheap. But with that said I don't know if there would be any improvement. I would think the engines are fairly close in weight so there shouldn't be much if any issue there but again I have no idea how the spring rates compare. Part of me would like to lower the Edge a little but I am not sure I want to drop close to 2" of aftermarket.

You really only get about 1.5" out of the drop. I am pretty sure that the stock shocks I have would be fine, but they have 70k miles on them and just feel that I am half assing things if I only upgrade the coil's.. I am amazed that nobody on here has stated were they got their "Aftermarket" shocks, if they actually have them. With all the gear heads on here that lower their edges, I can't believe none of them didn't upgrade their shocks.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDIT!!!: Mike, I didn't see your post after my original. Thanks for the heads up on KYB, I am currently looking into them. Thank you again, for stating this for me... I am sure others were very curious as well.

Edited by Eatinitup

You really only get about 1.5" out of the drop.

The bigger issue is the increase in the spring rate that lowering springs typically have. Since they are typically stiffer the shock has to try to slow down that extra force to maintain control. Often they just aren't valved correctly and you see those slammed Civics bouncing all over since the springs are too stiff. The offerings for the Edge are probably pretty mild so chances are you'd just give up a little longevity. But since yours have 70k it might not be a bad idea to at least price a complete swap since you'll be doing an alignment anyway.

• 2 months later...

I know this is a slightly older topic, but i wanted to weigh in. I'm a car fanatic and have lowered almost every car I've ever owned over the past 26 years.

Sure, you can just change out the springs...you don't 'have to' replace the shocks, but every car I've ever put springs on ended up wearing out the shocks much faster and I've ended up adding new shocks within a couple years anyway.

H&R made a "Cup-Kit" for my old ZX3 I owned and it was a set of springs and shocks paired to work as a kit. That was the best $550.00 I ever spent on a suspension kit. That car handled like a sports car...smooth yet tight at the same time. Exit ramps were fun, twisties were fun...definitely worth the money spent. In fact, I'm contemplating a similar purchase for our 2001 Mustang GT as the H&R springs I put on it on 2002-ish were later complimented with aftermarket struts and it still rides rough and crappy.

My old 97 Ranger had a full DJM suspension kit...shocks, spindles, shocks. And my first full size pickup used a full Bell-Tech suspension kit...lowering springs, spindles, shocks...the whole enchilada. Rode damn near like factory. Put 1.5" springs on our older Taurus and it rode fair with stock shocks, but I traded it in before they wore out on the aforementioned ZX3. I've got a 92 GMC Sierra as well currently and it's dropped, but not properly. The springs were cut and an axle flip kit on the rear, but truthfully it still rides very well for a 3/5 drop.

I'd love to lower our Edge Sport, but it's my wifes car and since our other two vehicles are lowered she wants her car to still ride 'nice' as she says. My 92 GMC is lowered and to me rides good, but still rather bouncy and as I said, our 01 GT Mustang pretty much rides like a tank. ;-)

So just a word of advice from someone who has owned many lowered vehicles over the past 20+ years...if you're buying springs, I'd highly suggest a quality shock/strut combo to compliment it for maximum ride quality. Why not do it right and replace it all at once instead of tearing it apart twice?