New member here, got a few questions about the edge.

pmoney

Hi everyone, I need to get a new vehicle sometime within the next year. I will probably be able to stretch out till next spring, but its never too early to start looking right. :)

I really like the edge, but I kind of have one hang up. The Gear selector only allows you Drive and Low (and O/D). I live in upstate ny with a lot of hills and lots of snow and having the ability to use something like a D321 (as in the expedition, and just about any other car out there, like our family's subie wagon) or even my dad's highlanders D2L (and o/d) makes a big difference allowing you to engine brake on snowy hills. I can't imagine why ford didn't simply add in a 2 or even 3,2 selection on the gearbox. I guess the only reason I can think of is that it may have been originally designed for the CVT :hysterical: that is in the 500/montego/freestyle.

Is the Low selection usable at 30-40mph or is it truly a 1st gear type of thing? I really wish they simply had a few more selections here, because I would like to consider the edge, but I may have to go the route of the turbo 4 banger with the cx7 which has an 'autostick'.

Thanks in advance!

Right after I bought the Edge I took it to Sedona. Which means a big long slug up 17 until you get on top of the rim. Once there my buddies driveway is so steep it appears 4low is required to get up it. Driving back you have to go up the big hill south of Camp Verde, another test of a cars HP, reserve power (can you run A/C while hill climbing?) at a low speed. Due to the slower traffic they reduce the speed limit so you can't just roar up it or take a run at it.

Not once did I use the little button to take the tranny out of OD mode (this changes the shift logic), mainly because I just didn't remember and the Edge just did its' job. Unless you like to shift, I don't think this will be a concern for you. Short steep drives, long slugging up hills it just plain performed and that is without flooring it or in any fashion trying to flog it. Didn't even notice the engine heat rising. This is very good!

Going back down the big hill on 17 the Edge did not try to over rev and over speed like the Town & Country tried to do. It also handled the cornering much better - less body roll. Today I'd push that little OD button and gain the engine braking - if only to try it out.

The Mazda's are pretty slick looking alright and I think they may be fun to drive. Just a bit cramped for my needs so I never drove one.

Hmm...I'm coming from a Porsche Cayenne Turbo with that fabulous manually shiftable 6-speed auto, so I know what you're missing. I too am disappointed that Ford left out all those positions, but it's not all bad.

First, one can lock out overdrive, in this case speeds 5 and 6, with a button on the side of the shifter. This provides significant engine braking. Secondly, Low means the bottom 2 gears, and I downshift into it as fast as about 40MPH.

Hope this helps.

Hmm...I'm coming from a Porsche Cayenne Turbo with that fabulous manually shiftable 6-speed auto, so I know what you're missing. I too am disappointed that Ford left out all those positions, but it's not all bad.

First, one can lock out overdrive, in this case speeds 5 and 6, with a button on the side of the shifter. This provides significant engine braking. Secondly, Low means the bottom 2 gears, and I downshift into it as fast as about 40MPH.

Hope this helps.

Well this certainly is easing my fears. I did not realize that o/d in the edge would lock out 5 and 6, nor that Low = 1 and 2, not just 1.

I engine brake a lot, not because it saves the brakes (brakes are cheaper than the engine) but because it gives you a lot more control of the vehicle. I just got back from 2 weeks camping in Utah and we rented an Expedition EL, now that truck was a beaut, but too big for my needs. It annoyed me to no end that when we are rolling down 12% grades on a dirt road my buddy was refusing to drop the gear from D to 3 or lower. He likes to ride the brake apparently; according to him, downshifting is for semi trailers. :finger:

Another little question, I would be looking at a base model SE AWD, is it possible to retrofit the fog lights?

Rented an arcadia for trip to FL in June. Searched for gears constantly and was annoying. By weeks end I always used the manual. Like the Edge better but I to wish it has the manual auto trans. In VA mountains the Edge did fine in D.

Retrofit? SE not have fog lights? Fogs with wireless remote are very easy to install.

Rented an arcadia for trip to FL in June. Searched for gears constantly and was annoying. By weeks end I always used the manual. Like the Edge better but I to wish it has the manual auto trans. In VA mountains the Edge did fine in D.

Retrofit? SE not have fog lights? Fogs with wireless remote are very easy to install.

Yeah the SE doesn't come with the fogs. Do you mean wireless remote as in a separate switch to turn them on from inside the car? I was hoping that the OEM parts could be used and meshed properly with the current headlight controls.