2011 Edge Sport HID Install

Folks,

I recently installed a set of HID headlights into my 11' Edge Sport.

I did a lot of reading on here and learned quite a bit from others based on their experience, such as kc300c and dingo - thanks guys.

I wanted to make a few of my own comments just to share my perspective.

First, my kit was the 55W 6000K slim ballast set from retro-solutions.

The ordering experience was very smooth and I had my lights in about a week after ordering (I am in Ontario, Canada) so I was quite happy with that.

The install itself took me a total of about 3 hours collectively.

Based on what I had learned, I think I could repeat it now in half that time easily.

Some of my advice.... (some of which may sound obvious!)

No 1.

Start the task in the morning! I was so excited to put this kit in, I ended up doing it after work one later afternoon/early evening and the loss of daylight made it extremely difficult.

No 2.

If you plug everything in as per the schematic and the bulb doesn't light - check the negative/ground position. I had an issue with my ground that made a world of difference.

No 3.

Organize yourself and have a plan set out before you start. This includes HOW you want to mount the ballasts, WHERE you want to place the 3 grounds, and most importantly, having your tools ready.

Note: Most of the bolts are either 8mm or 10mm in size. The airbox uses 2-8mm bolts holding it in and 2 plugs at the bottom where you just pull straight up.

I chose to mount the ballasts on a stainless steel plate and screw it into the factory ballast mount holes. I also used stainless steel screws.

Some pictures to show...

post-19387-0-40558500-1333857986_thumb.jpg

post-19387-0-26101800-1333858087_thumb.jpg

post-19387-0-77197200-1333858220_thumb.jpg

post-19387-0-04246700-1333858264_thumb.jpg

post-19387-0-03011400-1333858472_thumb.jpg

Great job J! Very clean install and love the mounting plate idea. My mounting straps are working fine, but your plate idea is much slicker. Nice job routing the wires through the flex tubing as well. Looks OEM!

I do have a question about your statement, "WHERE you want to place the 3 grounds." The retro-solutions kit requires grounding? I thought it was a plug and play system. Or is the grounding needed for the optional wire harness? I installed the DDM Tuning kit, but without the wire harness. All I had to do was plug everything in. Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks. I happen to have the plates kicking around so I just cut them to size and drilled holes to support the factory mounting points.

Glad you noticed the tubing! I picked up a single 3 ft piece from an electronics store for under 4 dollars. I wanted to protect the wiring and make it appear OEM.

I may want to go back and change those tie wraps to black ones but I only had blue ones available at the time of install.

The 3 grounds were all on the relay kit - correct. It came with the kit from retro-solutions and they recommended I use it, so I did. I was thinking I would not need it originally as well but this has proven to work well for me.

JN

• 1 month later...

Can you share some pictures of how you install the harness. I am unsure where exactly on the battery to attach the cables. I don't see "3 grounds" like you states in your post. I will upload pictures of harness and battery. I don't know if you can download and re-upload with markings on pictures to show where the connections are made.

post-16292-0-73758800-1336744579_thumb.jpg

post-16292-0-58228600-1336744603_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Can you share some pictures of how you install the harness. I am unsure where exactly on the battery to attach the cables. I don't see "3 grounds" like you states in your post. I will upload pictures of harness and battery. I don't know if you can download and re-upload with markings on pictures to show where the connections are made.

I am also unsure of the wire harness install, can someone shed some light on this that have already done the install. Thanks in advance!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...