Radiator fan running longer than normal

miketr

Recently noticed that the radiator fan is noticeably running for a longer period of time and running faster (louder) than I remember it being in the past. It will come on within about 30 seconds after starting the car in the morning and will run for about 5 minutes.. at least long enough to get out of the neighborhood. When I get to work, and shut it off, it's running and continues for a good 20 seconds. Seems to me that before it would take longer before the fan would kick on. I understand that while idling it will come on if sitting for a while, but doesn't seem like it should kick on right after a cold start.

Greetings and Welcome

The fan running after shut down is an indication that your motor is HOT, even in SW Florida. Or it thinks it’s hot, might be a bad sensor.

Or

Could be that your AC compressor is ALWAYS running.

Set your AC/heat control to off then check the fan.

BUT first

You need to check your cooling system.

Coolant level, cap, thermostat and water pump.

Using your heater would be a quick test of the cooling sys.

Good luck

ab

• 3 months later...

Hello, I am now having the same issue with my 2007 edge, did you ever resolve this issue? if so what was the problem. I am about to take it to the dealer for there take.

Update, I changed the controller with no change in the fan running wide open, I tested the fans by putting 12v to the plugs, the drivers side ran but the passenger side did not so now I am replacing the fan assembly. I bought an after market fan assembly TYC622030 on Ebay for $140 with free shipping and will be installing it this weekend.

Edited by hcytwn

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like miketr hasn’t visited the forum since starting this thread.

If your coolant gauge and coolant level are normal then it sounds like an electrical problem???

Have you washed your motor recently?

Could be a sensor, connector or (maybe not) wiring harness.

Good luck

ab

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...