What kind of mileage with the 22's

Jms4218

So after reading a lot of reviews on these tires it seems that I will be lucky to get 35,000 to 40,000 miles out of them. Very disappointing. The vehicle we tradded in with 20's had 87000 miles on the original tires and they were still at 6/32. Why would ford suck a crappy tire on a vehicle. Every review I read about this tire the owners hated them and said they would never buy them again.

They do seem to Handel good so far but 40,000 miles in a tire these days is nothing.

• 1 month later...

Because you are talking about 22" rims with low profile tires. Low profile = barely any thread from a brand new set. You can get some massive mud tires that I'm sure will last a good while. I have a roush mustan I'm happy if I get 20,000 out of my tires. Pay to play

There are very few tires made in the Edge's 22" size, and those are often in limited supply. Some of the truly great all-around, long lasting tires are simply not made in this size. The 18" Edge tire is not much better in this regard. The Tire Rack site has a list of tires for the Edge in the 22" size; and you can sort them by order of owner ratings. That is a good place to start.

Tire Rack shows only 4 tires in the 22" size. The Yokohama Parada Spec-X had the highest user rating. The Perelli Scorpions had the lowest. None of the 4 had a high wear rating; all were over $200.00 each! (Too bad Ford does not offer the Edge with a 16" common sized option.)

Edited by Feirstein

So after reading a lot of reviews on these tires it seems that I will be lucky to get 35,000 to 40,000 miles out of them. Very disappointing. The vehicle we tradded in with 20's had 87000 miles on the original tires and they were still at 6/32. Why would ford suck a crappy tire on a vehicle. Every review I read about this tire the owners hated them and said they would never buy them again.

They do seem to Handel good so far but 40,000 miles in a tire these days is nothing.

How long a tire lasts has nothing to do with it's quality. It's mostly about how you drive, how you inflate and maintain balance and alignment, and what the tread wear rating on the tire is. Tires designed for good handling....cornering and stopping, usually have lower tread wear ratings (around 300 plus or minus....it's on the tire).....so IMHO 35,000-40,000 miles is good wear for some good weather performance tires. If the tread wear rating is 400 and over, sure they can last well beyond 50,000 miles, but they will have a hard rubber tread for long life, and cornering and breaking will not be as good as softer rubber performance tires. And the harder rubber longer lasting tires may not ride as well. They are just tires....and usually perform per their design. All tire manufacturers know how to make good tires.

The latest and greatest tires are not offered in the Ford Edge 22" and 18" sizes. Production runs in these sizes is limited and Ford actually had to cut back production of the Edge a number of months ago because it could not obtain enough tires in its somewhat unique sizes. Ford could produce a Sports edition of the Edge with 16" tires that likely would outperform the Edge with 22" tires. It would ride a lot better, tire choices would be far greater, and likely performance would be enhanced. The decision to go with 22" tires is purely a fashion decision, not a performance decision.