Edge did wierd thing last night

Went out to eat last night. When we came out and got in the car I hit the start button and nothing happened. Hit it again and got a message that the key was not detected. Then the notice started flashing and then the alarm started sounding. It would start remotely, but when I put my foot on the brake and hit the start button, got the same message about key not detected. My wife and I both had our keys with us. I kept trying to start it and it kept doing the same thing and also annoying the hell out of people eating on the patio next to us.

After several tries and getting this result, I opened the rear gate with the remote and closed it. Got the card out to call roadside assistance

tried it once more and it started like it always does.

This morning, went out and hit the garage door opener and as the door started going up, I saw my lift gate was open. Got a little tense between me, the door and the liftgate and scratched it where the door hit it. Started OK and everything, but now I'm gun shy.

What the heck is going on? Naturally this happened on a Friday night when no dealers are open.

I haven't heard of many cases of this happening but I do believe you have a spot in the arm rest to put your key if the smart key is not functioning correctly. You might want to give it a shot just to put your mind at ease. But either way I would schedule a trip to the dealer to let them look at it and get it on the record. Also I believe there is a fix for the tailgate opening on its own. Again I would get this put on the service record just in case you have the problem again later.

Went by the dealer today and the Service Manager was as baffled as I was over what caused it to go into the anti-theft mode. We wondered if someone had come by and pulled the door handle and set something into motion. We also wondered if someone close by may have had a similar key fob and there was interference. I'm still wondering how I could walk up and the door unlocked when I touched the handle but it said No Key Detected when I tried to start it.

Service Manager is going to get with Ford and see if they can figure it out and get back to me. At least they are trying.

To add insult to injury, I got heartburn from the Mexican restaurant.

You're not alone. But I would say that similar keys are not going to effect it. Not really secure it they could, right ?

I was showing off mine to some friends and handed them the key fob, told them to stick it in their pocket and walk up to the locked car, open it and sit down. Press the breaks and press the start button on the dash. Easy nuff right.

Wrong .. they touched the door knob ... pull it open I exclaimed. NOW GET IN !!.. (gezzzz) "oh this is neat" yeah .. now press the break .. well .. long story short, I had the same experience as you did, right down to opening the rear gate (to show them the back while I think about how the hell I'm going to get out of there) About 3 minutes passed when we said good bye. I walk up to the door like nothing happened and sat down, and it started right up. I passed it off as things getting out of sync (HA ! I cracked a funny). Hasn't happened since ???

• 2 years later...