New Audio system in and it sounds awesome!!

I bought a 2012 Edge in March and have hated the speakers since I bought it. I have the Sync system as well and I knew I wanted to keep that instead of an aftermarket HU. Well friday I picked up a set of JL Audio C5 6.5 components for the front doors and C2 5x7 coaxils for the rear doors. I also picked up a JL Audio 700/5 amp to power everything. I went with the JL 5 channel amp because it was small enough to put behind the rear panel opposite of where the factory sub would be. I installed everything yesterday and it sounds great, I didn't buy a sub yet because I wanted to see what the system sounded like prior to a sub, thinking it might be enough. I did however run everything incase I did want to install a sub, I bought mine without a factory sub. I should have taken pics but didn't even think about it until after I was done. The only thing that you can tell is done are the front tweeters were put into the doors instead of behind them. I can take pics of those later. This is one of the best investments I have made to my Edge and now im starting to look at a sub for it. Not sure if I wanna go with the Stealthbox or try and mod a stock enclosure.

No I didn't use a cleansweep on it, I went with line out converters. Everything I have read about the cleansweep was pretty much to pass on them and go with an audison bitone. If you throw a new sub into your stock enclosure it will not perform the way the sub was meant to. That enclosure was designed for the stock sub and each sub needs an enclosure built to its specs. Also with the stealthbox there is no need to hack anything up, If you have no sub like me it is just the removal of the pocket and cutting it about an inch lower. The new grille covers this all up and it makes sense to have a larger opening since it will be a larger sub.

The C5's are an awesome set of speakers the get extremely loud but do not break up at all and stay clear. The 5x7's are coaxils just for rear fill, didn't go with the components. No need for them back there. I have a 2010 Maxima that I put JL ZR's in the front and rear doors. It is louder than if I had just coaxils but the front set is so in your face that the back set is no heard as well. So in the Edge I just went with the lower C2's and they fill it in nicely. I learned from the Maxima that I wasted roughly 500 bucks i could have kept in my pocket. Im not to familiar with the rockford you mentioned, but I just don't like their stuff anymore since they were bought out. The Bit one has nothing but great reviews.

Thanks for the info. I am considering the C5 5x7 components and 5x7 coaxes for the rear. As for Rockford, I like the 360.3 because of the ability to equalize each channel with 31 bands. Plus, I can do this either connected via USB or wirelessly via Bluetooth.

I was considering their shallow mount 10" sub but after hearing the stealthbox, I decided to go in that direction. Much cleaner bass.

Did you buy your stealthbox yet? I found an online dealer for 509 shipped to my door. As for the Rockford i haven't liked any of the reviews I have read and the unit is a little bigger than I like. Im now leaning towards the JBL 8-ms or the Alpine 660. Also I would go with 6.5's for the front, although I did have to cut a small hole in my door panel for the tweeter, but you will have to do that for the 5x7 components as well, unless you have the Sony system and it has the tweeter location on the A pillar.

Edited by Brock79

Did you buy your stealthbox yet? I found an online dealer for 509 shipped to my door. As for the Rockford i haven't liked any of the reviews I have read and the unit is a little bigger than I like. Im now leaning towards the JBL 8-ms or the Alpine 660. Also I would go with 6.5's for the front, although I did have to cut a small hole in my door panel for the tweeter, but you will have to do that for the 5x7 components as well, unless you have the Sony system and it has the tweeter location on the A pillar.

I'm still pondering getting one for my wife's Edge. I also had my heart set on getting a set of XXX6.5c for the front, but it looks like their 3.8" mounting depth might put a stop to that. Has anyone that's upgraded the front speakers let me know what the mounting depth would be? Also, is it possible to use a mdf baffle to gain more mounting depth? I used a baffle to fit speakers in my mustang, but they weren't covered by the door/factory grill.

I have the Sony system that has the tweeter on the A pillar.

I'm still pondering getting one for my wife's Edge. I also had my heart set on getting a set of XXX6.5c for the front, but it looks like their 3.8" mounting depth might put a stop to that. Has anyone that's upgraded the front speakers let me know what the mounting depth would be? Also, is it possible to use a mdf baffle to gain more mounting depth? I used a baffle to fit speakers in my mustang, but they weren't covered by the door/factory grill.

Actually, the stealthbox will fit just fine back there. I read the install instructions and, if you have a sub, it's pretty straightforward and easy.

My C5's have a top mount depth of 2 9/16. I believe it was 3"s for clearence. Look around a little more. Why are you set on the xxx6.5? Never heard anything good or bad aout them. So that can't be a good thing lol. Have you looked into image dynamics ctx6.5? I was gonna go with these, for the price nothing else touches them and they are almost comparable to my C5's. I think you would be very happy with these. Try shopping onlinecarstero.com or sonic electronix. They beat alot of prices. Edited by Brock79

My C5's have a top mount depth of 2 9/16. I believe it was 3"s for clearence. Look around a little more. Why are you set on the xxx6.5? Never heard anything good or bad aout them. So that can't be a good thing lol. Have you looked into image dynamics ctx6.5? I was gonna go with these, for the price nothing else touches them and they are almost comparable to my C5's. I think you would be very happy with these. Try shopping onlinecarstero.com or sonic electronix. They beat alot of prices.

I'm just a fan of RE products. I had them back in the day before they became main stream. I used to do audio comps for a couple years and RE subs were really popular amd set a few records, so i know they make good stuff. I typically think JL has been over rated, so I never had any of their products. However, I'm looking at their 8" w3v3 for the doors on my mustang if I don't go with Dayton Audio. I need something to keep up with the Hertz HSK Compo set I have up front.

For my wife's Edge I read up on the ID comp set, and that was on my short list until I remembered RE came out with a component set. I'm also looking at a set from Digital Design. I still have a DD9515 from my old truck sitting in my garage now. Their subs are quality, so I figured I would try the Compo set. I'm looking for a set that has a decent amount of low end and can take some power. I also was looking at the CDT 61 set with the TW25 tweet. I've used CDT stuff in the past, but it seemed kind of middle of the road. With this being the car she drives my 2yo is with her most of the time, so really responsive mids with a good low end are what I'd like for her as the sub would spend most of its life muted. I'm going to get the stealth box because it's the easiest way to add bass without modding the inside or having an enclosure take up space. How do you like the C5s? I've heard they were good, but haven't had a chance to audition them for myself. Lately I've been buying my stuff from ABT.com. If you call them u can bargain with them to lower the price. I got my wife's Kenwood DNX6990HD and my DNX9990HD for $1600 total, Crutchfield has the DNX9990HD priced at $1,399 by itself. I also was able to use a $100 MIR for each so I only spent $1,400. HalfpriceCaraudio.com is also really reasonable and if you like to trade or get slightly used stuff caraudioclassified.org is great. Competitors often sell items on there that have only been slightly used.

Edited by Topless Stang

IU understand not overpowering your wifes ride lol. As for the C5's they are a great speaker and sound really clean. I have more bass running to them then I normally would and they handle it no problem. Once I get my sub here I will dial them in properly though and i know they will sound even better. I have had many different component brands and the JL's have never failed me. I run the ZR series in my Maxima and they might be the best Comps I have ever heard, better than any Hertz or Focal I have heard. Haven't heard Focals Utopia comps but then again they are 4500 last time I checked and I haven;t heard the upper end Morels either. I know the C5's win alot of sound competitions. Two good sites for car Audio are onlinecarstereo.com and sonic electronix. I have never heard anyone ever having issues with these companies. The halfprice site unfortunately carries alot less in variety and I have heard to many complaints for me to order from them. The RE Audio is the best halprice carries IMO. Also those XXX woofers most likely will not fit in the doors and you will have to build them out and cut your interior door panel. Those things are like small subs.

I'm just a fan of RE products. I had them back in the day before they became main stream. I used to do audio comps for a couple years and RE subs were really popular amd set a few records, so i know they make good stuff. I typically think JL has been over rated, so I never had any of their products. However, I'm looking at their 8" w3v3 for the doors on my mustang if I don't go with Dayton Audio. I need something to keep up with the Hertz HSK Compo set I have up front.

For my wife's Edge I read up on the ID comp set, and that was on my short list until I remembered RE came out with a component set. I'm also looking at a set from Digital Design. I still have a DD9515 from my old truck sitting in my garage now. Their subs are quality, so I figured I would try the Compo set. I'm looking for a set that has a decent amount of low end and can take some power. I also was looking at the CDT 61 set with the TW25 tweet. I've used CDT stuff in the past, but it seemed kind of middle of the road. With this being the car she drives my 2yo is with her most of the time, so really responsive mids with a good low end are what I'd like for her as the sub would spend most of its life muted. I'm going to get the stealth box because it's the easiest way to add bass without modding the inside or having an enclosure take up space. How do you like the C5s? I've heard they were good, but haven't had a chance to audition them for myself. Lately I've been buying my stuff from ABT.com. If you call them u can bargain with them to lower the price. I got my wife's Kenwood DNX6990HD and my DNX9990HD for $1600 total, Crutchfield has the DNX9990HD priced at $1,399 by itself. I also was able to use a $100 MIR for each so I only spent $1,400. HalfpriceCaraudio.com is also really reasonable and if you like to trade or get slightly used stuff caraudioclassified.org is great. Competitors often sell items on there that have only been slightly used.

How did you really like the CDT speakers? I'm also leaning toward trying their higher end speakers and subwoofers. I really like that they offer 5-10 year warranties on most of their high end stuff. I'll be pushing those speakers to its limits long and hard so the warranty is a big plus.