Very high idle at start up and Speedo/Tach acting crazy?

nickagee9

The car is a 2007 Ford Edge SEL Plus AWD with 52,000 miles on it.

We bought it as a CPO vehicle from a local Ford Dealer almost exactly 2 years ago. We only have 11 months left on our CPO warranty and I'm starting to get concerned about an issue that has been going on for a while now. When the car has been recently driven, shut down then started again, from time to time the speedo and the tach gauge needles will go nuts. And when I say go nuts, I mean they bounce all over the place, up and down randomly (I'll try to record a video on my phone next time it does it). Since the RPM gauge is acting up I can't always tell what the engine is doing but it sounds like it idles very high when the gauges do this. I haven't been overly concerned with it in the past because the minute you shift the car from Park into Reverse or Drive, the gauges stop moving and settle back down to where they should be. However, as of recently the car has started to miss or slip on initial acceleration after the gauges do their crazy thing which worries me. It will only do it on the first take off and after a few minutes of driving, you'd never know anything was wrong.

Anyway, I was hoping someone on this forum might have experienced the same problem? I can't tell if it is a Transmission issue or if it is an Electrical issue... I was reading some of the threads in the recall/TSB/warranty section and saw that some people have had their Transmission reflashed but I've never heard of this and I don't want to sound like an idiot if I mention that to my local Ford Dealer.

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. If this is something that can be covered by my CPO warranty I'd like to get it done ASAP.

Thanks!