Questions about Sync Turn by Turn directions

RJG

Took a 300 mile trip today (round trip) in our 2012 Limited with NAV, where I knew how to go, but put the destination in my NAV system anyway....I .like having how far it is to next turn, how long to go, etc.

Daughter wants to listen to Sirius, and play with the system, so put the screen in the home mode where all the four quadrants show what's happening. This basically put the NAV system in turn by turn mode, since we weren't using the map. Is this how turn by turn directions would show if you didn't have NAV, and just used Sync for the turn by turn directions? Would these be "real time" directions from an up to date system? Like a Google earth or similar? Are the Sync directions pretty good? Even without a map? I'm not sure it's widely understood you can get turn by turn directions from SYNC when you don't have NAV. My Ford salesman said he didn't see any point in getting NAV for around town directions. Where you don't need a map for the big picture.(I like the map....zoom in and out, etc)

I ask because one of the things that annoys me about our Nav system (and the one in my Honda) is having to pay every few years for up to date maps, when I think they should be easily available from SYNCMYRIDE.COM free. Just like if I bought a 1300 or 1400 Garmin portable with free map and POI upgrades just by plugging into Gamnin for updates. This info is certainly easily available. When do you think we will see NAV maps we can upgrade ourselves free, or at least no more than about $50 (Like my portable older model Garmin Nuvi 750)?

Edited by RJG