Towing

GOZFST

Howdy, I'm looking at upgrading from my 2006 Jeep Liberty to a 2013 Edge SE, FWD. I'm getting conflicting answers to a question I've got about towning. I found what I think is a good deal on a 2013 SE, FWD, it doesn't have the tow package. The salesman said no problem just add a class III hitch and it's good for 3500lb. The brochures say 3500 with the tow package or 2000 without. Another dealer said I'd want the tow package. I tow a 6x12 enclosed trailer with 2 light bikes or an ATV in it or a 7x14 open trailer. Anyone have any experience with towing without the tow package? I plan on keeping this vehicle for a long time and don't want to have to replace the transmission down the road.

Thanks In Advance

There is more to a tow package than a hitch. Cooler on trans and (sometimes....not sure about Edge) cooler on power steering. Flashers designed to flash trailer lights, stuff like that. I don't have info about the Edge tow package, but without the tow package, I would only tow light loads short distances. Towing raises auto trans fluid temperature. And....the life of your transmission is directly proportional to the temp of the fluid. That's why every tow package has a cooler on the transmission to keep the fluid temps down.

• 3 weeks later...

Even if you could tow 3500 lbs like the salesman said by adding some of the equipment, your warranty would be void for any damages caused by towing more than the 2000 lbs.

Having owned a Traverse for a couple of years, that forum was always filled with the same question as yours. Sales people telling potential buyers that all they had to do was add the hitch and they would be good for the maximum capacity of towing. It doesn't work like that when the warranty comes into question. To duplicate the same equipment after the fact was double the cost of the factory installed package!

The Edge uses different cooling fans with the tow package, along with a setting for anti-sway control on the instrument panel and a larger radiator. It is also classified as Class II with 3500 max towing. If you are going to tow over 2000 pounds, get the factory package.